We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GHD hair straighteners

Coventry, UK
Level Contributor
184 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
GHD hair straighteners

Does anyone know if my UK GHDs will work in Jamaica?

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GHD hair straighteners

Nope! They won't, well they will show the light but not enough heat (power is different) . I think it's the voltage- I was devastated. Scruffy beach look Clare :)

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: GHD hair straighteners

Don't worry - even if they did work, if your hair is anything like mine, it will curl just a few minutes later. Its the humidity! And yes, the problem is the voltage. You need dual voltage - I've got a dual voltage styler - but as I said a few minutes later you wouldn't know I'd used it.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 22:24
Coventry, UK
Level Contributor
184 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GHD hair straighteners

Thanks for the replies :)

Do you know if there is a hairdresser at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
583 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GHD hair straighteners

Yes, here is the link for the spa!

renovaspa.com/Prices/Carpeta%20Svc%20Jam.pdf

Happy Travels

BBB

Hallsville, Missouri
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: GHD hair straighteners

Are all straighteners out in Jamaica? I have a Babyliss, but I'm guessing that none of them will get hot enough. I guess hair dryers work there?

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: GHD hair straighteners

If you're from the USA you will be fine - its just we from the UK and Europe who have problems because of our 240v electricity supply. However - your hair will curl after a few minutes just like ours :-)

Edited: 25 October 2013, 13:59
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GHD hair straighteners

I'm from the US and I leave my straightener behind. Even though it will work and straighten my hair beautifully, as soon as I walk outside my hair curls right back up! Humidity will do that.

I'm a ponytail gal in Negril.

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GHD hair straighteners

A bottle of Moroccan Oil, a load of hair bobbles, a few hair grips and don't bother with the straighteners (waste of time and space in your case).

FL Panhandle
Level Contributor
417 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GHD hair straighteners

My hair is too frizzy without my straightener in Jamaica. It may not stay perfectly straight but it does keep some of the frizz under control that I get with humidity. I live in the panhandle of Florida and our humidity is every bit as bad as that in Jamaica and I keep my hair at least somewhat tame with the straightener here and when I am traveling. I guess it all depends on how frizzy one's hair is if they will want to try to use a straightener or not. I use a Babyliss also.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GHD hair straighteners

If you have dual voltage GHDs from UK , they will work but as previous posts have said you may end up with the Monica look in Friends !!