We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some last minute questions about Couples Swept Away

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Some last minute questions about Couples Swept Away

Leaving for CSA in a week (YAY!) I just have some last minute questions:

1. Will it be easy to find the Couples Lounge at the airport? Do we pay an entry fee at the airport like required in the Dominican Republic?

2. Just want to make sure I just need dinner reservations at Feathers and Lemon Grass?

3. Where is the best place to have the lobster dinner on Saturday night? The website says that each restaurant features lobster, but I'm wondering if Feathers would be a good choice?

4. The glass bottom boat tour is different from the catamaran, correct? Should we do the cruises more than once...or is once enough?

5.Are chairs hard to find at the beach area? I know the float is part of the chair. Should I bring a float for the water in case there are no chairs available?

6. Is it necessary to bring water shoes?

7. About how much should I bring for tips??

Thanks so much!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some last minute questions about Couples Swept Away

I can answer a few of those as I'm going to Couples Negril in 3 weeks and have researched both CSA and CN .

5. Chairs aren't hard to find .... actually they are plentiful.

6. No

7. 0 -- tipping is not allowed at the resort and employees at Couples risk getting fired if they accept any tip money you offer. You should however have some tip money for the porters at the airport, the driver of the shuttle bus (there and back), and tip money of the spa if you choose to go.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
480 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Some last minute questions about Couples Swept Away

1-Yes it is easy to find the Couples lounge and their is no entry fee.

2-Thos are the only 2 that need reservations.

3- Feathers would be a good choice.

4- Glass bottom and catamaran are 2 different tours Go on the cat tour and if you liked it book when you get back for a 2nd tour.

5- Chairs are plentiful and so are the floats

6- No need for water shoes

7 - Tips are included at the resort. Will need tips for transportation and tours.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Some last minute questions about Couples Swept Away

You will also want tip money if you use the baggage handlers at the airport. $1 per bag seems to be the norm. As stated above, the bus drivers can be tipped also. I've seen anywhere from $5 - $10 per person here. The Spa employees can also accept tips. 15 - 20% of the cost of service provided is customary. We also usually try to keep at least a few singles in our beach bag in case we want to tip any of the musicians along the beach.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
38 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some last minute questions about Couples Swept Away

You can also tip the crew of the sunset catamaran cruise as they are not Couples employees.

We were there last week and there were plenty of beach chairs and floats every day. Enjoy your trip!

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Some last minute questions about Couples Swept Away

caylismom

How exciting, your time has finally come!

As mentioned no water shoes required at CSA, the beach and sea conditions are superb in every way. A nice gradual descent into the calm clear turquoise sea with a nice sandy sea floor, water clarity is excellent and just like bath water. You will have no need for a pool here, the beach & sea are the main attraction.

Plenty of loungers and quality floats for everyone with plenty extra after that. No need to pack a float when going to Swept Away!

We also prefer Feathers for lobster night. After check in proceed to the concierge desk and make your reservations for Feathers,.Lemongrass & the cat cruise.

Enjoy!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some last minute questions about Couples Swept Away

@caylismom - OK your a mom so I am going to offer this one up although not in your list of Qs. As you are checking out where to plant yourself for some "sand gravity" first of all scout out where the washrooms are. I found they seem to be pretty spread out on the beach as I almost learned that lesson the hard way ;)

nebraska
Level Contributor
456 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Some last minute questions about Couples Swept Away

Your questions have all been answered. But I did bring KitKats for the Catamaran crew...omi goodness..they were in heaven eating them...SERIOUSLY I cannot say I have seen anyone enjoy a frozen KITKAT like that before...LOL....Now I also brought Almond JOYS...same reaction! We also did a monetary tip for the crew.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
824 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some last minute questions about Couples Swept Away

1. Will it be easy to find the Couples Lounge at the airport? Do we pay an entry fee at the airport like required in the Dominican Republic?

- After you go through customs and immigration, just follow the crowd and you will see the Couples lounge on your left. You do not need to pay an entry free into Jamaica.

2. Just want to make sure I just need dinner reservations at Feathers and Lemon Grass?

- Yes, you will need reservations at both places and I would recommend you making those reservations right after you check in.

3. Where is the best place to have the lobster dinner on Saturday night? The website says that each restaurant features lobster, but I'm wondering if Feathers would be a good choice?

- On our last trip, we had Lobster at the Palms and it was delicious. I've never had it at the other resturants, but I'm sure it's good at any of them as well.

4. The glass bottom boat tour is different from the catamaran, correct? Should we do the cruises more than once...or is once enough?

- Schedule the first catamaran cruise available, then make the decision for yourself. We had a blast, but once was enough for us. That being said, you wouldn't need to twist my arm to go a 2nd or 3rd time either.

5.Are chairs hard to find at the beach area? I know the float is part of the chair. Should I bring a float for the water in case there are no chairs available?

- Plenty of chairs available and there should be a float on each chair, so you don't need to bring your own.

6. Is it necessary to bring water shoes?

- Not necessary, IMO. The water is clear and there aren't any rocks or urchins you need to worry about. It's ocean in front of CSA is basically like a salt water swimming pool.

7. About how much should I bring for tips??

- That depends. You'll need a few bucks to tip the baggage handlers outside the Couples Lounge. Then another $20 or so per couple to tip the driver to CSA (there and back). If you do the catamaran or do a spa, you will need to tip as they are not Couples employees. Other than that, on the resort grounds there is no tipping allowed.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 16:06
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some last minute questions about Couples Swept Away

Have a wonderful time, it is a great resort.

Somethings that no one mentioned.

- be sure to get the fish tacos at Sea Grapes, they are wonderful

- also check out the banana stuffed french toast at the Palm, really good.

- if you like yoga, take the yoga class on the beach on Tuesdays and I think Thursday, it is wonderful

- also have some cash to purchase a tee shirt or two from Ray Bell, he is there on Wednesday's. He does wonderful work and if you don't see what you want he will make it for you and bring it to you the next day.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some last minute questions about Couples Swept Away

I have fish tacos and the sweet potato chips on my list to try at Sea Grapes!! These last four days are dragging by!!!!!