We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending Money

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lutz, FL
Level Contributor
412 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Spending Money

I can never remember from trip to trip how much I bring with me when I go to Negril. For a couple that enjoys a few beverages over the course of a day and are vegetarians, how much would you bring along for the two of us for 7 days for food and drink? Thanks for the help!

Level Contributor
334 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending Money

Our general rule of thumb when we do non all inclusive is: however much we spent on the room for our stay is how much we bring for food and drinks. Our room in Key West was $1600 for 4 nights so, that is how much we brought for food and drinks (we do the same when we go to the shore for the weekend). Thus far, the theory has held fairly true (we generally have some cash leftover). I'm not sure how well that applies to the Caribbean though as we've only do AI's.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
380 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending Money

Probably between $100 to $150 per day depending on how many drinks you enjoy. We bring about $200 per day but we do lots of parting and get around to lots of places, mostly taking taxis. We do not use the route taxi system for the most part.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
805 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending Money

I would say that you would want to budget, at a minimum, $150/day for food and beverages. Maybe more if you like to drink cocktails more than you drink beer. I'm sure some will pipe in and say they can get by on less, and that's probably true if you just want to "get by".

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending Money

Marko's guidelines have been posted a few times and are a good estimation:

"$50-$75 - budget

$75-$125 - enjoying Negril

$125-$175 - you only live once

$175+ - let's party like a rockstar!

Cool Runnings, Marko"

I can easily keep to a $50/day budget (one person), as I self serve a lot of my own drinks, stick to happy hours when drinking out, don't get wine with dinner. Plus I am a social drinker, don't drink lots. I've gotten to know some good local restaurants that serve large portions of good food, and I usually only splurge at a higher end touristy restaurant a couple of times. Depends if you spend a lot of time drinking/partying and if you like to order lobster regularly, etc.

It's always good to take more than you think you'll spend, and bonus if you have some leftover.

Edited: 13 November 2013, 23:31
Trempealeau
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending Money

If you drink a few beverages, lets say 10 total. At a high end price, that's about 40 to 45 US. As you are vegetarians, I can't imagine you could spend more than 20 US a meal a piece, 120 US at extreme high end total. Add it up and your partying like a rockstar. I'd budget for 175. You'll be bringing cash back.

Lutz, FL
Level Contributor
412 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending Money

Okay, great! Thank you all so much for the replies! I've been thinking around $150-200 per day for both of us, so it sounds like I'm pretty on point for not having to fret while we're there, especially since we're more side of the road/casual dining/cold beer folks anyhow. :) Chances are we'll pick drinks and snacks before settling into our room so that we don't run up huge bar tabs while we're there either. I just want to run the Negril half marathon, flop in the water afterwards, and pretend for a week that I don't have a care in the world! :)

Lutz, FL
Level Contributor
412 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending Money

Monkygirl: that's a pretty good way to look at it. I may just have to start using that as part of my trip planning strategy from now on. Thank!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending Money

FLChick - You got it. In most of the popular places, drinks & food tend to be similarly priced to what we pay here in the USA. Beers are ~$2-4. Mixed drinks: $3-10. Lunch sandwhich/entre: $5-15. Dinner entre: $12-25.

To be sure, there are cheap options if you want to seek them out. Ras Roddy's has SUPERB vegetarian soup for ~$1/cup. Sips & Bites has many lunch/dinners (some vegetarian) in $6-10 range.

Enjoy!

Lutz, FL
Level Contributor
412 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending Money

Chris-thanks so much for the tip about Ras Roddy's. We will definitely check out the soup. Hubby and I weren't vegetarian the last time we visited, so we've been trying to figure out what and where we're going to eat while we're there. Traditionally we gorge ourselves on curried conch or ackee and salt fish...this trip will be a whole knew dining experience for us. :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending Money

You'll for sure want to hit Jus Natural when you're on the west end!