We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negril or Grenada?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Negril or Grenada?

My husband and I are trying to decide between a vacation to Grenada (Grand Anse), or Negril. Has anyone been to both? Did you like one better? We mostly like to lounge at the beach, snorkel, and enjoy the food/drinks. We're looking to travel at the end of April.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,426 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negril or Grenada?

We have been to both. We stayed at La Source in Grenada many years ago, pre-hurricane and have always wanted to return. This resort is now a Sandals. We have been to CSA 4 times and Jamaica 8. We really enjoyed the unique features of Grenada, specifically the rain forest and spice plantations. There are some smaller upscale resorts there that look very beautiful and we've hoped for the opportunity to return to support their economy since they had to entirely rebuild. Grenada was a very poor country, so off resort you so very sad living conditions in the countryside--shacks that looked to be made of cardboard--and it pained us to think of them during their big hurricane.

That said, 7-mile beach in Negril is prettier, IMO, than Grand Anse. So, if beach is your main criteria, Negril wins. We obviously love Jamaica. We stayed at the private beach on-resort but did see Grand Anse beach while touring. I don't have info about beach vendors there. You'd have to check on the Grenada forum. Negril has vendors walking the beach with wares and playing music, as well as beachside shacks selling food. Many like this, but others do good luck with your choice!

Edited: 20 November 2013, 10:42
Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Negril or Grenada?

Like ReviewerMaryland we too have been to both and stayed at La Source pre hurricane Ivan. We have also stayed at the Coyaba on Grand Anse. It is much quieter than Negril, there are vendors but they are fewer and more low key than in Jamaica. Both beaches have soft white sand, but in Negril the water is calmer and you can walk out for 50 or more yards and still be only waist deep. It shelves more quickly on Grand Anse, there is also a rocky bottom in many places so it may be better for snorkelling from the beach. In Negril there is nothing to see if you snorkel from the beach, you have to take a boat trip out to the reef (included if you go to one of the Couples resorts) to snorkel.

We thought Grand Anse was charming - we loved watching nursery school children sitting with their teachers under a seagrape tree on the beach outside our resort, and at weekends local people were out in their Sunday best, walking the beach and chatting to one another. In Negril most people other than the stall holders and vendors are tourists. You don't get many local people enjoying the beach.

However, the hotel we stayed in was not a patch (food, ambiance, pool and inclusions) on the ones we stay in, in Negril (and cost the same) and we prefer the beach and warm, shallow water of Negril. We also love walking the beach in Negril and seeing the bars and stalls along the way.

Edited: 20 November 2013, 12:19
Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negril or Grenada?

We've been to both. Both Grand Anse Beach and Seven Mile Beach are lovely but there are many differences.

Seven Mile Beach is much longer than Grand Anse. It is also much busier (more tourists, more vendors, more action in general). The water in Negril is calmer and shallower.

As for snorkeling, you are going to have to take a tour in either location and I wouldn't say either has stellar snorkeling even at that.

The quality of the food and drinks will depend mostly on where you stay and your personal preferences. We've had good and so-so meals in both places.

The biggest differences are really a lot of things you don't mention, like the relative sizes of the islands/populations (which affects travel distances, number and nature of things to do and see), the extent to which tourism is highly developed, the cultural and other aspects of the islands.

NJ
Level Contributor
277 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negril or Grenada?

Hi, this is very interesting as we were considering Grenada or Jamaica for our next trip after Negril again. Never thought we'd see a comparison of both. The descriptions of the water and beach are really helpful helpful to us.

I've retired from diving and love to snorkel and the Mrs. prefers waist high water and a sandy bottom.

Thanks much for your info.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Negril or Grenada?

Hi, I have just read your replies and all the posts...I love Grenada, been many times....I even own land there....I was also in Negril in February this year.....both are great in their own ways...but why don't you look at Bequia....it is simply the nicest, most friendly, small and charming island and the snorkelling straight off the beach on Princess Margaret beach is just delightful....I too am a diver and I have been to many islands and this one is cracking....it's a plane to St Vincent in the Grenadines and then a short boat hop over to Bequia - pronounced Beck Way....it's truly a gem

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Negril or Grenada?

Hi Angela:

I have been reading this post with interest as I too have considered Grenada but always ended up crossing it off the list as too expensive/difficult to get to from the West Coast ( I see you are from Seattle). We are an older couple and we have to take travel time and ease into consideration these days I am afraid :) .

I have however been to Jamaica many many times and Negril quite a few of those times. There IS some decent off -shore snorkeling to be found but you have to know where to go and that would be the Bloody Bay section of 7 mile in front of Grand Lido Negril, Rhodes Hall area and Half Moon Beach. Bloody Bay has very little foot traffic or vendors compared to the Long Bay section of 7 mile. Many people immediately think of Long Bay when thinking of 7 mile as it is the most famous and extremely popular but they are night and day to my mind when it comes to being busy. Runaway Bay on the north coast also has decent off shore snorkeling. We have seen some nice brain, staghorn and fan coral, also trumpet fish , moray eels, sharp-tailed eels . tons of reef fish, stingrays, numerous kinds of starfish and lots of other marine life within 100 yards from shore in very calm water both in Bloody Bay and Runaway Bay. Hubby and I are going back in December to both these areas and also hope to try Rhodes Hall. I have some arthritic issues that make it difficult for me to get in and out of a small boat at sea so we are constantly looking for off-shore opportunities. We absolutely love Jamaica and have been going there for many years.

I am also going to throw a suggestion out there and that would be Roatan, Honduras. It has the best snorkeling we have ever done , including other parts of the Caribbean, Hawaii , Bali and Thailand, and reminds me of Negril a little. It is relatively easy to get to from here in the West, we fly either Vancouver or Seattle to Houston then connect in Houston for a short flight to Roatan. It is still a very economical , laid back island to visit and most go for the diving and snorkeling. It is not really a destination geared to All-Inclusives though, if that is a factor for you.

You have a difficult decision to make and like has been mentioned you will need to take into consideration the other things that would be important to you.

I hope you let us know what you decide on. All the best !

BTW, Bequia is another place that looks fabulous, but again difficult to get to from the West.

Edited: 20 November 2013, 19:39
Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negril or Grenada?

We have been to both, Negril most recent, Grenada a few years ago, Spice Island Resort is very nice, been there a couple times, both islands are unique in many ways, we love them both for the beach , food and the people, but Negril is much shorter trip from Atl plus Delta stopped their non stop service so we now opt for Negril, if you decide on Grenada you won't be disappointed

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Negril or Grenada?

Grenada is lovely, I remember being told, "welcome to paradise, the island of spice!". I loved it there but I have to say I love Negril more.

I went island hoping in the Caribbean a few years ago and did a lot of the islands. Landed in St Lucia, sea plane to St Vincent, lots of islands I between, really didn't like Union island (held at knife point), and finished up at Grenada (got the cattle boat). I spent 2 weeks in Grenada in all. I went to the Fishermans birthday party (a huge street party) and that was great fun.

For me, Negril wins hands down every time. However, whatever decision you make, I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Negril or Grenada?

Love the carribean island comparisons - we are looking at Negril and Curacao for next year and though I love Jamaica so much, I want to get out and see some more of the carribean (especially the lesser antilles). Love the idea of the possibility of see dolphins while diving in Curacao and the beatiful heritage there - but would LOVE to go the BN with my hubby and kids - decisions, decisions..... :)

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Negril or Grenada?

Sask: You know my vote!!! LOL

And yes, go Riders...thought I would type it before you did so there!