We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon @ Negril in May 2014 - Citronella vs. Tensing Pen?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon @ Negril in May 2014 - Citronella vs. Tensing Pen?

we are planning our honeymoon for next May and considering Citronella or Tensing Pen. Looks like both are available for our dates. we plan to stay in 7-mile beach for the first three days and move to the cliff area for another 4 days. we already chose the place at the beach, but we are having hard time choosing a place at the cliff area. we would love to have some privacy, quietness, and great sea view/access.

i know both are really great places with fabulous reviews. but what really concerns us is the heat/humidity and bugs in Jamaica, knowing that these places (or some of its rooms) don't have mosquito nets/ACs.

Has anyone stayed in these places in May? Any suggestions/recommendations about these two places or other places would be great!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,959 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon @ Negril in May 2014 - Citronella vs. Tensing Pen?

We've stayed at Citronella several times, as well as a handful of other places on the cliffs (not TP, but have toured thru there a bit). IMHO, AC is a must-have. You can get by pretty well in the middle of winter with just fans, but in May, I'd want AC.

Both are nice properties. Citronella's cottages have little-no shade (same as many cliffside properties with unobstructed sea views), so they can be hot in the afternoons. Gorgeous views & great swimming though.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon @ Negril in May 2014 - Citronella vs. Tensing Pen?

Which units at each resort are available? Knowing that will help provide you with some direction.

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon @ Negril in May 2014 - Citronella vs. Tensing Pen?

This is easy. We are at Tensing Pen right now. It is absolutely lovely, they had no storms in the Caribbean this year and the grounds are amazing. It has been many years since it has been this lush. The staff is wonderful as usual. As for a room with AC we do not have any in our cottage. It is more humid in May so you may want to chose one that does.. We are from Florida and we are used to heat and humidity. In the late afternoon between 3 and 6pm is the hot time but you just get a dirty banana and hang out in the pool or sea until sunset and it cools of nice..

Glad to answer any specific questions.

Timm

Don't Tread On Me

Pataskala, OH
Level Contributor
127 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon @ Negril in May 2014 - Citronella vs. Tensing Pen?

I have been to both properties but only stayed at TP… TP has to be one of the most romantic places in Negril and perfect for a honeymoon. Very lush, private and tropical. I think the pillar rooms get a little warmer than the other cottages. We have stayed at the Cove Cottage and the sound of the waves at night was fantastic. I would get up in the middle of the night and just sit out side and be amazed. If money is not a concern, definitely book TP. Not sure which units, if any, have A/C. Catcha Falling Star is right next door and they have A/C in their bedrooms. Also lovely, but not as private as TP.

5. Re: Honeymoon @ Negril in May 2014 - Citronella vs. Tensing Pen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:16