We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Jamaica!

PEI
Level Contributor
68 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Jamaica!

This will my husband and I's first trip to Jamaica and wondering if there is anything that we should know, anything we should take etc..any info will be greatly appreciated!!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Jamaica!

Would be helpful to know:

where are you staying?

which resort?

how long you will be visiting Jamaica

any specific activities on your Jamaican bucket list?

Miami, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Jamaica!

This is interesting, i want to go there in jamaica..

PEI
Level Contributor
68 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Jamaica!

We are in Negril at the Fun Holiday and we are there for a week. Open to pretty much anything.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Jamaica!

Do a couple of searches in this forum for 'best things to do' and you'll get plenty of good info. My top picks: Walk the beach, do a snorkel boat trip, taxi to Xtabi for lunch and swim/snorkel there.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Jamaica!

Hi IslandGirl2009, Number One: Jamaicans have a great sense of humor. Get them laughing and you will be their friend. Number Two; On the whole they are much more honest than most people. They are very conservative, political, intelligent and religious. Because of the missionary influence, there are more churches per square mile in Jamaica than anywhere in the world (may or may not still be true, but sounds good). Even though most are honest some are not therefore do not walk the beach at night and do not ride in any taxis without a red license plate and always establish a price for the ride BEFORE you get in the car. (They have to make a living.) Number Three: Don't shake hands with random strangers you meet while walking around. Do a knuckle bump instead smile and keep walking unless you are interested in what they have to say or what they are selling. Number Four: Don't judge Jamaicans for the material possessions they don't have. Remember we have way too much and does it make us happy? Number Five: Relax and smile. You're in Jamaica. Have a great vacation.

North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Jamaica!

This will be our first trip too, other than a cruise ship stop over 25 years ago. Going in May staying at CSA.

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Jamaica!

sfjam: great post and great advice imo :))

Deadwood, South...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Jamaica!

Since it's your first time to Negril, you could check out Rick's Cafe and the cliff jumpers. I'd go a couple hours before sunset. I don't eat at Rick's as the food is very expensive and mediocre, but will usually leave before sunset and go somewhere nice for dinner like LTU, Three Dives, Rockhouse or Pushcart. You could also see Blue Hole Mineral Springs and/or Mayfield Falls, and I have yet to do this, but lots of people like going on the One Love Pub Crawl. I believe the One Love bus picks people up at their resort, but I could be wrong about that. No doubt someone else would have more information. Have a great time. Be prepared to become Negril addicted.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Jamaica!

Bring 3 times the sunscreen you think you'll need, the sun is very intense and sunscreen is expensive there.

Bring bug spray, the sand fleas are bad after a rain and at dusk if you're on the beach.

Bring at least 3 swimsuits each, it takes awhile for them to dry and you'll live in them all week!

Pack your bags and then take out half of the clothes you packed (except for swimsuits). You still won't wear all of the clothes in the bag - at least we haven't!

Don't forget to pack your "chill". Jamaican time is slower than the rest of the world. Relax and enjoy!

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Jamaica!

Adding on a comment to Julie's post: bring an extra checked bag for souvenirs, rum, rum cream etc. We didn't do that last time but are definately bringing one next April. We had to leave two free bottles of Appleton rum at the resort and hubby is still grumpy about it...seven months later. He doesn't even drink rum, but since it was free...lol

Oh, and bring body lotion and aloe cream...it's a must!! And as Julie said..bring your chill!!!