We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of questions needing advice...

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
248 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of questions needing advice...

My famiy and I will be at Beaches in May. I'd like to visit the Blue Hole on this trip. Is there a best time of day to visit? If we go in the morning, would a couple of hours be enough time to visit there? Also, we want to stop up at the cliffs one night and watch the divers. Beaches offers to take you/pickup for ~$20 pp. Would we be wiser to hire a private driver? We've never used a taxi so I'm a little nervous about that. One last question...we'd like to have a working cell phone just for emergency purposes. Can you rent these and if so how much for one week? Again, it would just be to check in a couple of times with family back home. Thank you very much!!!

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of questions needing advice...

A few hours at Blue Hole is more than enough time. $20 per person is high I think for the beaches taxi service. There are so many taxis in Negril will not be a problem to find one...and am sure a bunch of people will come on here and give you names/numbers of their favourite driver...or you just find one you like when you are there.

Check with your hotel about cell rental. Some hotels offer them for free, even some transport companies will...or often you can buy one for about $30 and just buy minutes. Everyone has a cell phone though so you might not even need one.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,140 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of questions needing advice...

$10 each way is the going rate for a taxi from the beach to/from Rick's (or anywhere else on the cliffs). If you want the number of an excellent dependable fellow, we use a driver named Biggs: 876-410-0536.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of questions needing advice...

You're better off financially to use a taxi OFF the resort property. Taxis that sit at the resorts are always more expensive than walking out to the road and hailing a red plate. Negotiate fare before entering taxi.

A cheap cell phone can be had with minutes for less than $30.00. The LIME store is above the market across the street from the Digicel store. Better price on the phone and minutes.

United States
Level Contributor
11,378 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of questions needing advice...

"Would we be wiser to hire a private driver?"

No. As stated above, walk out to the road and hail the next taxi that passes by the hotel, there are many available.

For all of your phone options see the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-s605/Jamaica:…

If all you want to do is check once or twice and if the calls are short, there probably are lower cost options than purchasing a Jamaican phone.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,086 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of questions needing advice...

For good drivers make sure to take a look at THE LIST in the upper right corner. This is a list of drivers that have been used by and recommended by TA regulars. I have used several of these guys and they were great, never a problem. Just send off an e-mail to 3 or 4 and ask for a quote on your exact trip.

Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple of questions needing advice...

Which Beaches property are you staying? There is one in Negril and one in Ocho Rios. Either way you can do Blue Hole in a day. The difference is just 2 hours extra driving if you are staying in Negril. It is a very good experience. Try and get there early. For excellent rates for a cab check reggae tours. You can book online. For the best deal on renting a cell phone with unlimited international calling and internet visit www.islandphonerentals.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
516 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple of questions needing advice...

If I have an unlocked phone, can anybody say if it is also possible to buy a SIM only deal with the SIM card and some minutes bundled in? If so how much would these be and would that also be available at the LIME store?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple of questions needing advice...

Yes. A Lime sim is $3-$5 US/CAD ($300-$500 JMD). If you buy $500j in credit, that should be enough for a week for moderate talking/texting, local and to the UK.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,387 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple of questions needing advice...

The Lime SIM I bought this year cost apx $11USD, apx 1100JMD, just FYI.

London, United...
Level Contributor
516 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple of questions needing advice...

Thanks. That's probably what we'll do then. It'll only be for casual use so no big expenditure needed.