We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attire and Restaurant Reservations

Metro Detroit
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Attire and Restaurant Reservations

Hi all,

It's one week to our first trip to Negril. I had read somewhere on the forum that life is very casual in Negril. Is that true for dinner at some of the better restaurants? Like Ivans, K2U, etc?

Also, do you generally need reservations at the restaurants for dinner? Do you make them when you arrive or in advance?

Thanks!

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Attire and Restaurant Reservations

Ludlow

Yes, things are pretty laid back and casual in Negril. Just wear whatever you feel comfortable in.

When we dine at restaurants like Ivans, Rockhouse, LTU & Kuyaba I usually wear a casual sundress or maxi dress and flat or wedge sandals and he wears dress shorts and a Tommy Bahama or similar button down short sleeve collared shirt and sandals or deck shoes. Sometimes I might wear a mini skirt, cami and flip flops and he might wear shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops.

For Ivans definitely make a reservation as you are traveling during New Years week and they will be busy, also wedding and other groups may have advance reservations. Our group is arriving in Negril this coming Saturday and we have our reservations made. They also appreciate advance reservations to gage how busy they will be not including walk ins. The most popular time to be seated is just before sunset.

Enjoy your first visit to Negril!

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attire and Restaurant Reservations

Hi Ludlows, Make reservations and dress casual or dressy. I see all manner of dress in Negril. It depends on what you feel like when you are going out. Sometimes I go dressier than others. It all depends on what you feel like. Have a great vacation.

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attire and Restaurant Reservations

Ludlows,

Firstly, have a great time. I was at Ivan's 3 weeks ago. My hubby wore chino type shorts, deck shoes and a Ralph Lauren polo shirt. I wore a nice top (a top I'd wear to go to a wine bar at home), a white denim mini skirt and wedges.

It is very casual in Negril but some people also like to get dressed up for dinner. The general dress code for dinner is smart casual however, some restaurants on resorts for example do say that men must wear a collar and long trousers. I only came across this dress code once though and that was at the Club Riu and they're very strict about it.

Have a wonderful time. I guarantee you whatever clothes you take, you will only use half of them. Merry Christmas and have a happy new year!

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,607 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attire and Restaurant Reservations

When I go to Ivans I use it as an excuse to get "pretty" - nice dress, "real" shoes, dare I say - makeup! Hub on the other hand is come as you are - tank top, cargo shorts and flip flops. They love us and take us any way we come.

san antonio
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attire and Restaurant Reservations

No shirt, no shoes, no problem.

Love walking up the beach for dinner without even bringing shoes.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Attire and Restaurant Reservations

casual but covered. People do come from the beach while others are in their best vacation attaire!

In addition to your pics try Sweet Spice-loval favorite and Ahhh Bee's the best burgers in all of Jamaica!

PEACE!

7. Re: Attire and Restaurant Reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2014, 05:16