We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort advice

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charles Town, West...
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Topic
Resort advice

Looking for the best place to take family ages 15and 18 yr old kids and wife other then Beaches

United States
Level Contributor
11,259 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort advice

See the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c182778/Jamai…

How do you define the term 'best', I know what it means to me but it may mean something totally different to you.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
307 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort advice

Beaches has a great beach, but it seems to me that the resort is set up for families with young children. Heck the 18 yo could go to Negril on their own. I would imagine people will suggest the Riu's. Me, I spent a day on Bloody Bay and wouldn't want to stay at either of those resorts. Are you only interested in an all inclusive resort? I suppose the Riu's would work for your family if that is the case. Others will chime in I am sure. Do you want a family room or two rooms?

We have been to Negril a number of times as a couple, CSA twice, Idle Awhile and Charela Inn. Idle Awhile is a non all inclusive small resort with a wonderful beach. They have some larger units that would work for a family. There was one family with three younger kids when we were there. It is easy to do non all inclusive in Negril. Coco La Palm is next door to Idle Awhile and has two pools and hot tubs. Looks like they have some larger rooms to accommodate a family. Breakfast is included. This area, in our opinion is the best beach on 7 Mile. On the other side of Idle Awhile is Charela Inn. We loved our week there in May. We did the all-inclusive option and enjoyed it immensely. The beach is fabulous. The food and drinks were fabulous. They have family units, which may work for you. We are heading back this June with our family of 6. It was just right for us and we look forward to sharing Negril with our "kids". We have walked the beach from end to end countless times and in our estimation it is the best there is, all things considered. negrilonestop.com has some great deals for Charela.

I hear people like Grand Pineapple but for us the beach is not so much to our liking. Hey, we are from New Jersey, and despite what you all might think and hear about NJ the shore can't be beat. Another consideration with a family for us would be Chrystal Waters Villas. It has a nice beach, although not enough trees for our liking. But definitely one we would consider. Another option might be Nirvana. It is a great beach. But there is no restaurant or bar. We kind of like some amenities on vacation.

Negril is our favorite place for some reason, and we have been to many a place, on many a beach. That said, while we love to walk the beach from end to end, there are not many places we would want to lay our head or sit ourselves on the beach for day after day. Charela just worked for us. We are the kind of people who get to the beach in the am and stay until sunset. We walk and walk at intervals, in between hanging in the most unbelievable water we have ever had the opportunity to spend time in. The "kids" are the same. But if you are more of the action type, well, you will have to pay to play, so to speak, but all activities are available close by. Happy planning!

Charles Town, West...
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort advice

Thanks for your time in writing such a detailed reply very helpful thanks,

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort advice

good summery jcjc, I agree with you, Coco is our favorite resort for non ai but Idle Awhile and Charea Inn are nice also, wonderful beach area.

You can also checkout negrilonestop.com for prices, maps of resorts and sales, also you did not say when you are planning trip.

san antonio
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort advice

Good summary. I too grew up with New Jersey beaches, and they are hard to beat. The central area of Negril does though.

We like that Nirvana has no bar or restaurant, it means that the only people on the property are guests, so it's very secure. We enjoy having them cook breakfast for us (cook service for one meal a day included with most rooms), grab something on the beach for lunch and go out to dinner, usually the West End.

The beach at Nirvana is awesome, very large for the number of guests that stay there, never a problem finding a shady spot.

6. Re: Resort advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:19