We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spiders

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
spiders

I was in Negril in 1980 and stayed in a place that was pretty open. We found a number of large spiders in our room while there. They were ivory colored, about 2 in. in size and molted. The owner called them Anansi, I think. I can't find that anywhere and I'd like to know what they were. Anybody know?

Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spiders

Nooooo!!!

There are NO spiders in Negril! Nope, not a one! I'm SURE of it!

I will wrestle with any other creature on this earth but spiders just give me the major creeps!

Sorry for the interruption.

Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spiders

Possibly a Shelob.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,271 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spiders

Jamaicans may call a spider "Anansi" because it is known as a West African God who takes the form of a spider - it is not the actual name of any particular spider.

There are many different types of spiders in Jamaica, all beautiful, large and small. They are mostly harmless - but the tarantula does live here. Never seen one in Negril - according to the song, they seem to like to hide out in Bananas.

I get at least one spider bite each year. Inevitably it is because I walked through a web in a garden or through the bush. I react strongly so I always have a stash of Benedryl.

Where I live for most of the year Brown Recluse and Black Widows are pretty prevalent. Seen many, never tangled with a one!

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spiders

rasta: I googled it and read about the 'Spider God'. Now, I am not terrified of many things but spiders are my worst nightmare....are they mainly in the forested areas? I'm talking about the big icky ones, not the average sized run-of-the-mill arachnid.

When we stayed in Negril last year, not one spider crossed our path (thank goodness). The worst thing we met were little baby sand crabs who had found their way under our suite door each evening. I thought they were cute...hubby, not so much. Lol, wimp!

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,271 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spiders

Cassie - don't worry, I see bigger spiders around my home in California. I've never EVER seen a tarantula here though I know they exist on the island based on the popular "Banana Boat" song. Don't take shortcuts through the bushes at the resorts and you won't encounter any but if you see a web they are super cool looking.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spiders

Hinbugl - You must not have done a search or 2. It's a name that's used for smart spiders in many fables. Heard one when I was a kid and it's common in literature it seems....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anansi

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
337 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: spiders

sshhuusshhh, can you guys n gals talk a little quieter? , my wife looked over my shoulder and freaked out when she saw the title , she hates the word spider and will run a mile on seeing one even in the UK.

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: spiders

LOL Gman! Bless her.

9. Re: spiders

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 05:19