We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches Negril with older kids?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches Negril with older kids?

Hi there! My husband and I took a fabulous trip to Negril many years ago and would like to return, this time with our two sons ages 7 and 10. We'd like a family friendly resort with a fun water park type pool. I am considering Beaches Negril but hesitant because I am afraid that the Sesame Street theme is too "babyish" for the boys. They are at that age that Elmo and friends are just not cool.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? We are open to other parts of Jamaica but Negril was just amazing! We took a Disney Cruise a few months ago and it was just way too many people for us so we'd like to look into an all inclusive or even a hotel. We're looking for something laid back, somewhat luxurious, with lots of activities for our active boys.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

ontario
Level Contributor
144 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches Negril with older kids?

they offer lots of different things there for older children as well. I have a 13 year old grandson and I would consider taking him there. Activities all day if you like. We went to the Riu Negril years back and it as ok. I think the Riu Tropical would offer more though for children.We just got back from beaches with young children and loved it, but like I said there is lots for older children as well.

indianapolis
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches Negril with older kids?

Look at jewel runway bay. Excellent kids activites and a small resort with an excellent beach. We are going last week of may after much research this past year.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 16:56
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches Negril with older kids?

LOL - your kids aren't older kids! We took our kids there when they were 9 and 13, and then again when they were 13 and 17 because they didn't want to go anywhere else but Beaches. The Sesame Street thing is not in your face at all, no worries about that. They have lots of activities for the kids, they will never be bored. Plus there are the waterslides and the lazy river, we spent lots of time doing those.

We started at Sandals Negril and loved Negril so much that we brought our kids back twice. We're returning again this year (without the kids!), and our daughter talks about Negril for her honeymoon someday. There's just something about Negril!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
306 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches Negril with older kids?

Never stayed, with or without kids, but their beach is fabulous!

Chicago
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches Negril with older kids?

We are going to Beaches Negril in April with our two boys, 12 & 17. When you say that there are lots of activities, can you be more specific? I know about the watersports and Xbox game room but what kind of organized activities do they do?

ontario
Level Contributor
144 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches Negril with older kids?

Cant say that we did any of the activities with the young children we were with this year other then grafts and sesame street, but as far as I know they have volleyball.I saw a lot of action at the pools every day with all the older children, different games on the beach every day , snorkel trips . im sure if you go on their web page they might list the activities they offer, or talk to the chat line they offer on beaches.com. I saw lots of older kids there and they seem to be having lots of fun.

Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches Negril with older kids?

Thanks so much, everyone! I am researching all the idea, as well as other spots in the Caribbean. Yikes, it is overwhelming!

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches Negril with older kids?

nikkia

We have been taking our daughter to Beaches Resorts every year (sometimes twice a year) since she was 5 years old, she is now 14 and she still requests to return. We have stayed at other family resorts in Jamaica, other Caribbean islands & Mexico so we do have a basis for comparison.

Of all Beaches Resorts Turks & Caicios & Negril are our favorites and where we have the most stays. IME you will be hard pressed to find another family all inclusive besides these two that offers the best teen & kids programs, extensive water sports programs, waterslides & that is located on a superb stretch of beach perfect for kids to enjoy. Long Bay Beach and Grace Bay Beach offer calm clear water with a gradual descent (Long Bay Beach in Negril being a bit more gradual) and sandy sea floor.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 02:33
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches Negril with older kids?

zeusdo

In addition to the Xbox game room there is Trench Town a gathering place and game/music room for tweens/teens. Your 17 year old will enjoy Club Liquid, a fun nightclub for teens. Both your kids may enjoy Scratch DJ Academy (nominal extra fee).

Beaches has an awesome scuba program for kids & teens at an extra charge. There are also organized kids snorkel trips included.

Information on these activities and more can be found on the Beaches website. Upon check in you will be given an activity sheet which lists all of the activities available by date & time for the week.

Enjoy!

Chicago
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches Negril with older kids?

Thanks for the info, we can't wait to go, 76 days and counting!