We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rock steady, early reggae, and classic ska

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
252 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Rock steady, early reggae, and classic ska

I am hoping to be in Negril (West End, maybe? Still trying to secure a hotel) Fri-Sun either the weekend of 2/21-2/23 or 2/28-3/2. I love most kinds of live music, but it would be a real treat if I could find any live bands playing classic Jamaican music from the 60s and early 70s. Might anybody know of bands or venues to look out for? Any websites that might go into that level of detail?

I've looked at negrilinfo.com and googled for some music listings, but can't really tell if any of the listed bands are what I'm looking for.

As long as I have music and a beer in hand, I will be happy, but it would be a real treat to find some "oldies." Of course I can also ask around once I'm on the ground.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,889 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rock steady, early reggae, and classic ska

Katlanta,

I don't have info on good venues for you, but we always ask the beach musicians to play Rock Steady favorites of ours. They are glad to oblige, and it's nice not to hear "Three Little Birds" for the 50th time each day...not that I don't love that song too :-).

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
23 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rock steady, early reggae, and classic ska

Hi Katlanta.

It's tough to find things online in advance regarding Negril concerts, but Alfred's, Roots Bamboo and Bourbon Beach have live music. The Hurricane Band is a good one to catch.

You never know what band you're going to find though -- five years ago my wife and I had a chance to see the Heptones and Naggo Morris at the Boat Bar on the beach!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,607 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rock steady, early reggae, and classic ska

Total agreement that it is very difficult to get information in advance on upcoming shows. I am a lover of earlier reggae also. A couple of years ago when Jamaica was celebrating 50 years of independence, several of the mature artists performed at Reggae Sumfest in July. Some of them also did shows independently in Negril around that time. George Nooks and Ken Boothe were a couple of the artists who performed. Other than centering your trip around going to Sumfest, it is going to be hit or miss as to who you can see.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
252 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rock steady, early reggae, and classic ska

Thanks y'all! Definitely looking forward to some music now. I appreciate the pointers and the expectation-setting. :-)

I'm already thinking of requests. Will make sure to have some change for tips, that frequently seems to help.

Bradenton, FL
Level Contributor
679 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rock steady, early reggae, and classic ska

We've actually found it difficult to find bands playing early reggae, etc. in recent years. The styles have changed. It seems a lot of bars, restaurants don't play it much anymore either so we always take our own extensive collection on our I-pods and have speakers to listen in our room. We can't go to Jamaica and not hear the old stuff, wouldn't seem right!

Boston
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rock steady, early reggae, and classic ska

Dolly Man plays at Sun Beach bar every Thursday and Sunday. He does a mix of old and new and definitely takes requests, especially for older stuff.

michigan
Level Contributor
827 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rock steady, early reggae, and classic ska

We enjoy the music at Sun Beach, good times :)

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
252 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rock steady, early reggae, and classic ska

Just got back -- thanks all for the recommendations!

It was a short trip, so didn't get a lot of nights of music, but --

The band at Alfred's on Friday was good, mostly new stuff, a few oldies, but the guys were talented.

Eating dinner at Pushcart on Saturday and a 3-piece band showed up and played a bunch of great stuff, with a decent number of "oldies" mixed in. 3-part harmonies, acoustic music, they were fantastic.

LTU Pub had a sign out for "old style" music on Fridays, but I didn't see the sign until Sunday. D'oh!

Will have to spend more time next time we visit! Thanks again all.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
882 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rock steady, early reggae, and classic ska

Those folks at Pushcart are great---they did "Big Bamboo" for me as a request!

10. Re: Rock steady, early reggae, and classic ska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 08:58