We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute prep for upcoming family vacation

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute prep for upcoming family vacation

Hi all! I am returning to Negril after 3 years, and this time with my family. I am so excited, we land on Tuesday -- less than a week from now!!!

I saw some scary threads about rain and smelly ocean, but I am going to assume the Negril vibe will prevail and all will be irie :)

But : should I bring anything I wouldn't normally bring? Rainclothes or umbrellas or warmer clothes?

And : any advice as to how much Jamaican cash we need? I assume the hotel will let us charge our meals there and if we go out to the bigger restaurants (Rockhouse, Ricks) I can use my charge card. But for a family of 6, 7 days, what do you think? I don't want to carry too much cash, Jamaican or USD, but don't want to be short either.

Finally : any other advice packing-wise or prep-wise? Cards and games for the kids in the event we're stuck inside for extended times, lots of bathing suits, sunscreen, camera ... what else do we need?

Thanks you guys - so much wonderful advice on this forum :))

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute prep for upcoming family vacation

Where are you staying with you family?

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute prep for upcoming family vacation

We will be at Coco La Palm.

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute prep for upcoming family vacation

Insect repellant, rehydration salts, beer cooler, adapters, passport, swim wear, diocalm, a good book, water shoes (dependent where you are staying), a notebook for each child (get them to make a journal of their vacation), a hand written list of drivers/transportation contact details (see THE LIST - scroll up, on the right), dollar bills (tips).

I'm sure others will add to this also. Don't forget, don't leave your common sense at arrivals in MBJ. Have fun, be safe and enjoy it!.

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute prep for upcoming family vacation

I've read on other threads that people budget $100 (USD) per day for a couple who are not all inclusive. Unsure how many mini-you's you're taking but I'd personally budget $50 (USD) per day, per person (16+), under 16's then maybe $30 per day. Soft drinks, ice creams and all that can add up quite quickly!.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute prep for upcoming family vacation

Thanks these are great!! I forgot about the insect repellant. Do the outlets require adapters?

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute prep for upcoming family vacation

Sorry, my bad. Maybe your USA plugs are the same in Jamaica?. They're different to our UK 3 pin plugs and sockets!.

Medford, New York
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute prep for upcoming family vacation

I always pack an extension cord with multiple outlets.

I also pack a 1st aid kid with band aids, pepto, and benedryl.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute prep for upcoming family vacation

US plugs are the same as those in Jamaica .

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute prep for upcoming family vacation

Coco is great, and yes, you can charge your restaurant, bar & snack bar purchases etc to your room. If you want to, they'll take a $200 deposit when you check in. We always charge to the room but tip in cash.

They do have room safes at Coco, but I still wouldn't take a pile of cash. We usually hit the ATM a couple of times for cash, either the one at Time Square or at the Scotiabank in town.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,882 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last minute prep for upcoming family vacation

I bring a little cash, a credit card and my ATM card. Tell your bank(s) the dates you'll be there, sometimes they block foreign transactions if you don't. Also check on fees for overseas use of your card and ATMs, some banks are cool, some charge rather a lot.