We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tensing Pen- name of restaurants in walking distance

Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tensing Pen- name of restaurants in walking distance

I'm getting lazy in my research. I should have started keeping notes back in September when I was booking this trip and spent HOURS on TA. We are 65 days out and getting excited. I know Ivans and Catcha are popular but we want more authentic and a local feel. Plus I know after a day of traveling we are going to want something we can get to and from easily. We are only there for one night before going to CSA. Reviews seem to indicate the jerk chicken isn't the best at CSA so I'm hoping we can get some at Tensing or nearby. I'm not counting Tensing out but we want to try to get the most out of this trip as possible and would like to see a local restaurant.

THANKS ALL!

Westminster...
Level Contributor
209 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tensing Pen- name of restaurants in walking distance

We plan on staying at Tensing for the last three nights of our stay at Sandals and the only places the I know of (so far) are Catcha, lodge at Tensing, Ahhh Bees, Sharkys and Ricks. Ricks may be a good place to walk to and stop in for a drink. Not sure the food is what you're looking for. Ahhh Bees is a burger joint. Although I heard really good. Since I'm staying 3 nights I may try that place for lunch one day. You mentioned Catcha. I don't know enough about Sharkys.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
882 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tensing Pen- name of restaurants in walking distance

Ah-Bees for a great burger, brownies for dessert? I think he has a fish burger as well!

Ras Rody's for excellent veggie local foods and soups ---just across the road and great for takeout...

Hungry Lion just down the road-----

Florida
Level Contributor
430 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tensing Pen- name of restaurants in walking distance

I second the Ras Roddy recommendation. No jerk of course as it's all ital (veggie), but a local experience very much worth having. Stop at least for a cup of soup and some conversation. (I am not remotely a vegetarian, but his soup is really excellent and he's a very interesting individual. Food aside, he's worth meeting, but the food is really excellent.)

(It's not really a restaurant per se, but a roadside stand with some stools at the counter. But to me that just adds to the experience as life on the cliffs is passing by as you eat.)

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
882 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tensing Pen- name of restaurants in walking distance

Ras Rody has actually moved to the US, but his son Shadrach is a cool dude and fun to talk to----

Try his callalloo!

Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tensing Pen- name of restaurants in walking distance

Thanks! Take out sounds perfect. Isn't there a grocery stand within walking distance too? Can we bring stuff back and have a cooler at Tensing pool?

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
882 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tensing Pen- name of restaurants in walking distance

Dont know about TP's rules, but there is a grocery just across the road and up a few feet (Wise Choice) where you can get beer, rum, snacks and such....

Oxford, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tensing Pen- name of restaurants in walking distance

Ltu Pub....yummy grilled snapper and the chicken Lola is delicious!

Sharks.....delicious pan fried snapper

Ahhhh Beees....great burgers

NIagara Falls...
Level Contributor
815 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tensing Pen- name of restaurants in walking distance

Seastar Inn on Seastar Lane just a few hundred yards from Tensing. They have a big menu and you can check the prices and offerings on line.

Seastar also has a Saturday night buffet with an entertaining reggae band and 'African style Drummers'. They'll even pick you up and drop you off, but it's an easy walk.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 20:18
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tensing Pen- name of restaurants in walking distance

"Can we bring stuff back and have a cooler at Tensing pool?"

We bought beer/liquor/snacks at Wise Choice (across the street) and brought it back to TP. Never had a problem.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tensing Pen- name of restaurants in walking distance

Katrina - LTU would be my #1 suggestion. It's one of our favs - more informal than TP, Catcha or Hungry Lion. Nice diverse menu, with plenty of nice local choices. I love their jerk snapper sandwich (for lunch), and many of their apps and dinner entres. Great cliffside setting, and about a 5 min walk from TP or Catcha.

Ras Roddy's soup is SUPERB. Love grabbing a cup for $100J to go. Rick's isn't a place I'd go for food, since it's a pricey tourist trap. Seastar is great, but it's a bit longer walk if memory serves, and it's up the lane, away from the water - so no view, in case you'd go in daylight. Ahhbee's burgers are indeed great - tho I wouldn't call that authentic JA fare, and the menu is limited. No bad choices (except Rick's) - enjoy! ;)

Edited: 20 February 2014, 00:59