We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand pineapple thoughts

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Topic
grand pineapple thoughts

We have been trying to figure out what are accommodations in Negril are going to be. Wanted CSA but its to pricey this year. Then really liked the idea of going the non ai route. Really like the look and price of Country Country and do lunches and dinners on Seven Mile. Then thought about the Grand Pineapple. Its location seems great. Its well within our budget with money leftover to drink and dine up and down the beach. In your opinion does this make sense? We can have all drinks and meals covered(maybe weather is bad or we are lazy that day). Or is it best to just go totally non ai? Hopefully a handful of people that has been to the Grand Pineapple can chime in!

Thanks..

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
358 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand pineapple thoughts

I can't say much to your question- but, you're a fellow RVAer AND a fellow Jamaica fan, so I had to say hi! :)

As for what I have read about GP, I think it would serve you well and give you the best of both worlds... like you said, you'd have the convenience of AI without feeling like you're throwing money away on days you do want to go off resort. If nothing else, I think I'd like the AI for breakfast and nightcaps- even if you spend the entire day out and about.

You may have come across this rather recent forum... it's topic is Sandals/GP points, but negrilbeachlovegirl gave lots of great info about GP- including the very point you're considering.

tripadvisor.com/…56765232

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grand pineapple thoughts

I really liked Grand Pineapple. It was located on a perfect section of the beach. We are used to much larger resorts and GP only has 65 rooms, 1 buffet restaurant and 1 bar --- but we really enjoyed it. It is a quaint, colorful resort for a very good price and I would not hesitate to go back.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grand pineapple thoughts

I agree about the GP being AI but cheap enough that you don't feel bad about going off resort. I hope to stay there someday and wean my hubby off of the AI thing. :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grand pineapple thoughts

Mack, we have been to the GP and it would be well with your budget and allow you to do what you want off property and not feel guilty about spending time of your A-I. It is located perfectly on Seven Mile for what you want to do.

Telluride, Colorado
Level Contributor
224 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grand pineapple thoughts

After 6 non-AI Negril trips, I did GP last fall. GP is now my home. Can't recommend it enough! As previously stated, no regrets spending a few bucks off property since the AI rate is very affordable. Awesome staff!!!

Edited: 14 March 2014, 16:23
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grand pineapple thoughts

Right on Wanoyes!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: grand pineapple thoughts

Nice to see some neighbors on here! Thanks for all the feedback, it does help to keep my thoughts in check. On paper it looks like the best of both worlds. Eventually Ill try CSA, but for the price, I would not really want to travel the beach and eat at different places. Im not that cheap, but it just seems wrong. I think CSA is a little more the $2k more at the moment.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: grand pineapple thoughts

TravelFoodWine

Thank you for your kind comments about my posts on the thread link you so thoughtfully placed here for additional information.

We enjoy creative ways to book, save time, save money, earn points for resort discounts and free airline tickets (that means more time on island!) and I am happy to share.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: grand pineapple thoughts

Mack

No doubt, CSA is a special place and is one of our top 2 favorite AI resorts for couples in JA (both are in Negril). We have been staying at CSA every July for a week for several years. We love the beachy feel and casual elegance of the rooms with large verandahs that blend with nature, the meandering pathways lined with tropical foliage, the excellent restaurant selections with all menus featuring dishes created with fresh local ingedients with a fusion of Jamaican flavors and all menus are rotated mid week for more variety. We love the over abundance of floaties on the beach for use in the sea and green flag beach drink service (flag up your ready for another one, flag down your all set at the moment), cold aromatherapy scent infused washcloths brought to you while on your lounger at the beach as well as nice cold fresh fruit kebobs. Little touches that make our Caribbean beach vacation so much more enjoyable. We use all of the inclusions when we go, scuba trips, snorkeling trips, sunset catamaran cruise, sports complex etc., so for us every July we head back & enjoy. We always go off property while at CSA a couple nights around 10 or 11pm after cocktails on resort to a beach party with live reggae, a sunset trip to Ivans is always in the agenda, but our days are spent on property enjoying a variety water sports, the sea & beach with a walk along Long Bay Beach thrown in at some point in the day. We too feel guilty spending too much $$ off resort while staying AI at Couples, Sandals or Beaches and those trips are for enjoying all the convenience and inclusions on resort.

Now, with that being said we also love a beach vacation at non inclusives on the beach & cliffs as well as a smaller boutique AI resort like GP which is a real value for us. GP is a quaint property with basic rooms, limited amenities offering great service Sandals is known for in a great location on Long Bay Beach with no guilt trip for spending extra $$ off property every day & night. We love the beach bar at GP, so convenient to the beach and perfect for cocktails before heading over a few steps on the beach to Alfreds right next door 2-3 nights a week for live reggae, a short distance away is Bourbon Beach and Roots Bamboo, so easy. We love to walk up and down Long Bay Beach during the day enjoying local establishments along the way, grab a cab and head up to the cliffs.

The staff and management at GP provide individualized service and everything you need for a great easy going beach vacation. If you don't plan on scuba & snorkeling trips daily, waterskiing, using the sports complex or if you don't think you will use all of the other inclusions at CSA and like to get out and about on the beach & cliffs to explore and enjoy more variety while having the convenience of an AI as your home base GP is a great choice. $2000 is a large savings and I can understand and appreciate why you are looking at other options for this particular trip to Negril. You can certainly set up a snorkeling trip for $25pp at Beaches Negril through the water sports desk at GP, pay for a sunset cruise, use the kayaks, SUP & hobie cats at GP and enjoy visiting local beach and cliff establishments and take a couple excursions for less than $2000.

It is all about what your requirements are for this particular trip to Negril. While GP is not couples only, during all of our stays the resort has been mostly occupied by singles, couples and friends traveling together with few if any children on property.

Enjoy your research and your time in Negril!

10. Re: grand pineapple thoughts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:18