We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Transfer and Taxi Costs

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,509 posts
351 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping Transfer and Taxi Costs

The search function doesn't seem to be working that well, so I thought I'd reask a question that I have seen a bunch of times, but didn't really process the answer.

We have a private transfer from the airport to RIU Palace Tropical Bay. What would you suggest for an appropriate tip?

We will also be hiring a taxi to go from RPTB to Red Dragon, then on to Rick's and back to RPTB. Any idea what the cost of that taxi would be for 4 people? We plan to go off property of RPTB to get a red plate driver. Would it make sense to have the driver wait for us-or just grab a new cab to go between bars and then back to RPTB? I would imagine we'd be gone about 4 hours.

Thanks for any suggestions! In 23 days we will be in Negril for the first time, 2nd time to Jamaica. Can't wait to escape this cold and snow!

United States
Level Contributor
11,681 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping Transfer and Taxi Costs

If you plan to go out to try several bars in Negril, consider the One Love Bar Crawl bus. There is no cost for this trip. See the following

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147313-d2…

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
882 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping Transfer and Taxi Costs

My driver charges $75 for the trip from Mobay to Negril and I give $80....I would take separate cabs for your cliff trip---lots available just get the cost before getting inside.....instead of Ricks (or maybe after checking it out) go a little further up the cliffs to LTU Pub....better prices and a great view.

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,509 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping Transfer and Taxi Costs

Thanks for the suggestions. We are all booked for the One Love Bus Crawl. To me that is a "must do" while in Negril...so we do not plan to miss it!!

Although I realize that Rick's is definitely a tourist trap, we are tourists and just want to check it out. I do not harbor any illusions that Rick's is indicative of the "real Jamaica"...but it is unique to Negril so I would like to at least check it out before we leave!

san antonio
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping Transfer and Taxi Costs

I'd tip 15-20% or so on your ride, on the higher side if you make any stops. If you stop for food, offer to buy him something.

Barrington, Illinois
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping Transfer and Taxi Costs

I was wondering the same question--- how much to tip for transport. Thanks for asking the question, I haven't been able to find any clear answer.

6. Re: Tipping Transfer and Taxi Costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 05:18