We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exciting News for some!

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
850 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Exciting News for some!

Those of us who can't get a decent flight to Jamaica this news is GREAT! Southwest Airlines is beginning to announce international flights from the Northwest. They start flying internationally the end of October. Being from Boise, ID this is great news!!! They will also maintain current luggage policies (2 checked bags per person at no charge).

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exciting News for some!

I booked my flight from New Orleans to Orlando, Orlando to Jamaica through Southwest, got an awesome deal. Be sure to check their site on Tuesdays as that is when they run their sales :-)

Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
850 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exciting News for some!

We aren't flying until the end of Nov., so I have to wait a bit. Thanks for the heads up on Tuesday sales.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exciting News for some!

Yeah, they run great sales and remember that you can always cancel your flight and re-book if you see something cheaper. For this trip, I had originally only booked a flight from New Orleans to Orlando (was planning an Orlando vacation), I received the email from Southwest about a sale, went online to check the price to see if it went down, I ended up getting a round trip from NOLA to Jamaica for less than what my original ticket to only Orlando cost.

Virginia
Level Contributor
908 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exciting News for some!

The down side of this might be for those of us who love taking Air Tran Airways nonstop from BWI. As I understand it in the not too distant future Air Tran will stop flying as they are pulled into the SW Airways brand.

Southwest has a lot of fans, but I love booking my seat assignment in advance and have never been really interested in the 'grab it growl' system that I have been told is how SW does seating.

I guess I need to wait and see, but since SW bought out Air Tran this has been one of the possible outcomes.

Time will tell I guess!

Respect and good travels!

Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
850 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exciting News for some!

RHVA-Agreed on the seating. I am not a big fan of not having assigned seating. As for Air Tran I'm not sure what is happening there. As of right now they are still operating as always. Like you said we will have to wait and see. I am hoping that from the Northwest we can just get some better connections without 11 hour layovers and 2 stops each way. Flying out of Boise is horrendous.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exciting News for some!

If the flight is cheap enough, I'd take whatever seat I could get. I'm waiting to see if they are going to fly out of Phoenix. If not, I'll have to see what kinds of flight I can put together and see what kind of price I can get. It will be interesting though.

Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
850 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exciting News for some!

Anod-I was doing the same thing out of Boise. Say Boise to Orlando on SW and SW Orland to MBJ. So far it is less expensive than any other Airline. Delta right now is 785.00 + Luggage fees and SW even with the multiple stops is 703.00 no luggage fees.

And I agree, if the price was cheap enough I would ride in the lavatory! lol

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exciting News for some!

The seating situation has changed on Southwest somewhat over the last two or three years. You are given as assigned boarding group of either A, B, or C. You are also given a number in the order of boarding within that group. So, while you are not assigned a specific seat, if you have A25 for instance, you are pretty well assured of being able to seat where you want. You can also buy a $10 upgrade per flight to be guaranteed to board in the A group. I agree that I would prefer to pick my seat and not have to deal with the boarding line up, but I have flown Southwest many times and it works pretty well.

They have already started the flights from Nashville to Mo Bay. I have seen some better deals with them. However, one thing I have noticed that I don't like is that they are not yet doing flights everyday. I want to fly out on a Saturday in July and there is no flight available on that day.

Edited: 18 March 2014, 19:52
oregon
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Exciting News for some!

Being in Oregon I am with you as flights are such a pain in the ...! Can't wait to see what Southwest comes up with. We always fly out on the red-eye so at least we get in to Mo Bay in the afternoon but takes forever-)

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
143 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exciting News for some!

I'm not crazy about the no assigned seat, but it's never been an issue so far me on Southwest.

I am glad they are taking over airtran as I did not enjoy our airtran flight from orlando to Jamaica. I also hated that airtran did not allow international online check in. We waited for 2 hour in their line at the airport. I hope southwest changes this.