We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We need so much help.

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Big Stone Gap...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
We need so much help.

Hello everyone! I have looked at so many different topics with so much great information, i think im on information overload! This is our first trip to Jamaica and unfortunately our local travel agents haven't been very much help so we are in search of advice.

A little about us. Im 35 & my wife is 30, we are from Southwest Virginia, been married for 10 years now so not honeymooner's, we have no children, we will be traveling the July 4th 2014 for 9 nights, and this is our first trip to Jamaica, We are looking for a all inclusive, adults only on the beach. So far we have bounced between Montego Bay & Negril, while finally deciding on Negril i think!

We both have looked at so many hotels in Negril.... we just don't know where to turn. We have looked heavily at Sandals, Couples Swept Away and Beaches/Breezes im not 100% on the name of the resort & Hedo.

We are very open minded but Hedo seems a bit over the top for us. We visited a resort in Cancun (Temptation which we loved) that have a very risque vibe & had a swingers crowd, but seems tame comparing to hedo. Our travel agent has steered us away from Sandals resorts in all countries (over priced and under produces) in their opinion. I prefer a resort that is close to bars/disco's/clubs that are with in walking distance/short cab ride to the resort. My wife prefers the resort to be topless/thong friendly. Some where that offers Caribbean Lobster Dinner (even for a extra charge) would be a great perk, a great gym, 5 or more resturants, 24 hour place to eat and a fantastic beach is a must.

Now i know what everyone is thinking..... we sure don't ask for much! LOL! But if any of you would give us any suggestions on a resort that is close to these things it would be such a huge help!

Thank you,

Cody & Lauren

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
787 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We need so much help.

"My wife prefers the resort to be topless/thong friendly. Some where that offers Caribbean Lobster Dinner (even for a extra charge) would be a great perk, a great gym, 5 or more restaurants, 24 hour place to eat and a fantastic beach is a must."

Sounds like you just described Couple Swept Away to a tee.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,317 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We need so much help.

From what you have described and are looking for my recommendation would still be Hedo, the only other option in Negril would be Couples Swept Away, a really nice AI but what you are looking for would be better found in Cancun or the DR. Couples or Grand Lido, what's it called now? would be two good choices.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: We need so much help.

Cody and Lauren, welcome to the Jamaica forums.

I do think you are spot on to be thinking of Negril instead of Montego Bay. The beaches in Negril are much better than the MB area beaches.

For an adult only AI that is close to bars/disco's/clubs, Couples Swept Away is a great choice. The resort is topless/thong friendly on the beach, but generally not around the pools and other public areas. CSA also has a great fitness facility. I'm sure it hits the 5 restaurants, lobster and 24 hour place to eat check boxes as well.

CSA's location is right at the end of the strip of beach bars, boutique hotels and restaurants on the southern section of Long Bay. You just go to the beach, turn left and you are there. This stretch of beach is maybe 2 miles or so long.

I don't know much about Hedo, but it is not close to bars/disco/club. It would be a cab ride each time. Same is true for Grand Lido Negril.

Grand Lido Negril (formerly known as Breezes Negril) and Hedo II are adult only, but not couples only. CSA is couples only. That does change the vibe of the resort. It may be a good difference or a bad difference depending on what you want, but it is a difference. That is something to keep in mind.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,317 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We need so much help.

good post, HogDaddyMike, I agree.

Spring Creek, Nevada
Level Contributor
163 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We need so much help.

Sandals Roy Caribbean has a clothing option section on the private island and a nice beach. Where is SRCFan when you need him? He has an amazing powerpoint presentation he can send you by private message and is very educated on this resort. I would message him for info.

United States
Level Contributor
11,090 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We need so much help.

"I prefer a resort that is close to bars/disco's/clubs "

In Negril the only adults only resorts that meet this requirement is Couples Sweptaway. For all other adults only resorts you will need to take a taxi. However, as there are no sidewalks and few street lights in most of Negril, you should take a taxi from Couples Sweptaway to any place after dark.

"My wife prefers the resort to be topless/thong friendly."

Your best options for this are Grand Lido Negril and Hedonism II. Both have specific sections of beach where this is very common. Couples Sweptaway is open to this but it is not a common practice.

"a fantastic beach is a must"

Of the Negril resorts listed you will find the best beaches at Couples Sweptaway and the Grand Lido Negril.

Big Stone Gap...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: We need so much help.

You all are being so helpful! Thank each and everyone of you all for taking a moment out of your busy day to reply and help us out.

Seeing everyone's post it seems like Couples Swept away, Grand Lido, & Hedo fills our requirements the best. I haven't been able to find much on Grand Lido so far to paint a picture of what they are quite like. I have seen quite a bit on Hedo, from what we're reading Hedo seems very Naturalist... I guess for lack of better words. I mentioned Temptation as a model of what we we're looking for earlier. Since Lauren reminded me of where we stay in SB Miami. The Delano & The Shelburne.. And those are a much better representation of what we are looking for I think.

Can anyone tell us about their personal experiences at those three resorts? Couples swept away, Grand Lido, and Hedo?

Big Stone Gap...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: We need so much help.

HogDaddyMike. Thank you for all the great info! It seems like Couples Swept away is checking all our box's. Our concern with couples swept away is, last year in Punta Cana we stayed at Secrets Royal Beach. And the vibe was very Honeymoon/Anniversary based and it seemed to be much harder to meet other couples and make friends there than what we have previously experienced at other resorts. Have you experienced that at Couples Swept Away?

Big Stone Gap...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: We need so much help.

Suzanne, we're not very familiar with this site unfortunately, how would we get in touch with SRCFan?

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We need so much help.

Agree w/ Hogdaddy and Thevinnie. CSA has excellent location, but is quite tame re: C/O. Hedo is the party AI by far, and has it's wild and tame weeks, depending on the crowd. Not walking distance to any local places tho.