We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tensing Pen, Rockhouse and Catcha Falling star...

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Tensing Pen, Rockhouse and Catcha Falling star...

Have any of you stayed at all three of these resorts at some point? If so, which resort did you find the quietest? I stayed at TP in Seagrape II and found it noisy at times. Perhaps that's unavoidable on the cliffs with the party boats passing and the loud road. However I must admit it felt quite private and the view was killer. I don't want to pay more than $400/night and a bit less would be ideal. My priorities are:

1) Privacy

2) Excellent view

3) Quiet

4) Room service for breakfast or at least a coffee-maker

Given my priorities, in your opinion, which is the best resort/room in that resort?

What's the best way to escape winter blues... Plan your next winter escape!

Thanks!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
322 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tensing Pen, Rockhouse and Catcha Falling star...

I stayed at both TP and CFS and didn't find either noisy.

Stayed in Garden A at TP.

Stayed in Sky Cottage at CFS.

I think Sky Cottage ticks all your boxes. CFS has room service for B/L/D. You can even order from the lunch menu for dinner.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
919 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tensing Pen, Rockhouse and Catcha Falling star...

We stayed at Rockhouse and it seems to tick all your boxes. A regular villa is less expensive than the premium ones and they looked just as good. We were in a premium but I think we would go regular next time. They are also cheaper than the premium ones. (Although not villa 8 as it does not have as good a view. ) The views from the pool are for everyone and are also great.

We never had any issues with noise, sure sometimes the party boats came by but they left fairly soon and were only there mid afternoon, not too early. There was room service at no extra charge and te breakfasts were large. The jerk sausage was particularly good.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tensing Pen, Rockhouse and Catcha Falling star...

I've stayed at all three properties several time. As far as privacy, peace & quiet Seagrape II is as good as it gets on the cliffs for that price. I have not been to Catcha since Sky opened but from what I know of it's location it has a great view but is not as private or quiet as Seagrape II. Rockhouse has very little privacy but the cove is a great view from any of the better villas. It is more of a social resort than TP. One thing to keep in mind is at Rockhouse you cannot be guaranteed a specific villa unlike at TP or Catcha. So it's a crap-shoot on where you will be on the property. If you book a premium you will get one, or a regular villa you will get that. But not a specific unit.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 19:56
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tensing Pen, Rockhouse and Catcha Falling star...

Thanks for all your thoughts, dpw567, Oona1 and Blues_Pirate. Maybe it was because it was so quiet at TP overall that noise from the cruise boats every day and music from nearby bars and dogs stood out at night. It's part of the package on the cliffs I suppose! I'm still guessing that the cliffs is the best nearby getaway from the beach area of Negril for a more relaxed time. I am interested in the Zimbali retreat because I bet it is so peaceful but my spouse is not -he needs water nearby.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tensing Pen, Rockhouse and Catcha Falling star...

"noise from the cruise boats every day and music from nearby bars and dogs stood out at night. It's part of the package on the cliffs"

It is unless you go past the lighthouse. There are several resorts down that way. Check out negrilonestop..

Edited: 24 March 2014, 20:40
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tensing Pen, Rockhouse and Catcha Falling star...

Hi Blues_Pirate, I will. Are there any past the lighthouse that you recommend?

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,818 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tensing Pen, Rockhouse and Catcha Falling star...

Chill Awhile, Moondance Cliffs, Citronella (past Rick's anyway), Tingalaya, Westender, Jackie's on the Reef...all past the lighthouse. Villas sur Mer also past Rick's. Anything past Rick's should not have party boats passing by.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 21:06
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,818 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tensing Pen, Rockhouse and Catcha Falling star...

PS: Catcha is closest to Rick's of the 3 you mention and as such, not only has party boats but actual music from Rick's that you can hear if you are outside. Never bothered me because it ends early.

michigan
Level Contributor
820 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tensing Pen, Rockhouse and Catcha Falling star...

Hidel Awhile is as quiet as it gets. I have not stayed there, but have spent an afternoon there and toured the rooms. They are absolutely beautiful.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 21:50
Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tensing Pen, Rockhouse and Catcha Falling star...

maybe check out Treasure Beach if you are looking for quiet/privacy..lots of nice houses for rent that include cook/housekeeper