We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Married at either Sandals or Couples Swept Away - just us...

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
362 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Married at either Sandals or Couples Swept Away - just us...

Hi Guys,

My fiance wanted me to come here for some advice.

We are getting marred in February and have it down to either Couples Swept Away or Sandals.

Is there pro's/con's of each?

It's only going to be the two of us. No family or friends. This is the way we want it.

I'm 37 and my fiance is 27 (not sure if this matters).

We just for back from the Hard Rock Punta Cana about a month ago and loved the size (the walking and exploring). We just booked 10 days the Valentin Mayan Riveria for the start of July.

I realize that the resorts in Negril are smaller which is fine.

Again any pro's/con's of getting married at either of these? We're going to do 2 weeks.

Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Married at either Sandals or Couples Swept Away - just us...

We're just back from CSA....not to get married! Already married. Absolutely loved everything about it!! Haven't been to the Sandals so can't compare.

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Married at either Sandals or Couples Swept Away - just us...

If you're going for 2 weeks, you could easily consider a split stay and see Negril and another part of Jamaica. If you like large resorts, the largest in the Sandals chain in Jamaica would be Whitehouse on the south coast and Grand Riviera in Ocho Rios.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 21:53
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Married at either Sandals or Couples Swept Away - just us...

Are you looking at just Negril? If not, I agree with CnJ about SWH, it is our favorite. Otherwise we love Sandals Negril and will be returning again in just ten days.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Married at either Sandals or Couples Swept Away - just us...

We did our Weddingmoon in JA. in 2006 & like you we looked at many places before finally deciding on CSA. Also like y'all it was just the 2 of us (at that time we were also mid 30's in age) & we wanted a simple (AKA lowest priced wedding package) & Couples/CSA delivered everything we could have ever wanted & more! Since then, we did CSS in 2011. We are now headed back to CSA this year & are already making future schemes on CSS for 2016 if po$$ible. I think this says something about how much we enjoyed it all, lol. If I had 2 weeks I would think really hard about doing a split. That way you would get resort credits at the second place (sign up for the romance rewards program before going) plus honeymoon benefits at both! Also if you did a split with say CTI or CSS (our other fav) you would save $$$ and get to see 2 parts of the island in 1 visit. You could have the excellent beach of CSA (one of the best spots in Negril) & the privacy of CSS & the lush jungle like feel of the place which is VERY romantic. Just a thought, lol. Feel free to check out my reviews, pics, clips for more info.Congrats on your wedding, what we liked about the entire Weddingmoon experience was that it took away all the stress & worries. You will not regret it:)

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Married at either Sandals or Couples Swept Away - just us...

If you prefer a large resort with more going on, then I agree with Sandals Whitehouse.

I love CSA and it is my personal favorite - that being said, Hard Rock is my idea of hell so our tastes are obviously very different. We prefer quiet and low key to busy and entertainment driven. We love the watersports, sports and fitness program included at CSA and the nightlife is perfect for us there.

CSA is not small but not large and there is nowhere near the constant activity level that Hard Rock - or even Valentin - offer.

While Sandals Grande Riviera is larger and active, I do not care for it at all. While I have not been to Whitehouse, it is on a much prettier beach and even the least expensive rooms have a nice view. Sandals have Playmakers who work hard to involve guests in group activities. This is much more low key at Couples resorts.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 22:19
Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
362 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Married at either Sandals or Couples Swept Away - just us...

Loving all the advice so far!

I really appreciate. We travel so often, but this needs to be 100% perfect.

We are truly going to book whatever advice is given in this thread.

1. Can i ask what the difference between Sandals Negril and Sandals Whitehouse Montego Bay?

2. Would people lean towards getting married at Coupes Swept Away (1 week) than go over to Sandals Whitehouse (1 week)?

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Married at either Sandals or Couples Swept Away - just us...

If looking for a beach wedding, Negril is the spot. It just depends on what resort/areas appeal to you most outside of that & your budget. CSA does seem to have a tad more younger crowd at times, if this matters to you out of their 4 resorts. I would think on your honemoon lol not so much of an issue. Just keep in mind you would have to get your own tranportation if you do a split between Couples & Sandals. Otherwise each would provide you transportation to another of their own resorts. Perhaps you should check out the other resorts in both chains to try to narrow the field a bit in JA. Also check for deals for the times you are going= http://couples.com/special-offers/ if budget is an issue. Couples has some great deals for 2015 with resort credits:)

Edited: 31 March 2014, 23:41
Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Married at either Sandals or Couples Swept Away - just us...

I think if you go to the individual resort pages they kind of sum up some highlights of the resort property. You can also use the sandals feature to compare resorts against each other to see the differences in inclusions and amenities. For the most part all Sandals resort offer the same things. Just a few tiny variations can be found now and again.

Sandals Whitehouse is all beach front rooms, by the looks of it, is a more modern & chic design with 3 European village experiences within the resort. 7 restaurants, 6 bars, 3 pools, 4 whirlpools, private 2 mile beach. well over an hour of travel from the airport to the resort. I have read reviews and talked with people that feel its a bit isolated in terms of not being near as many things to do and see in Jamaica as some of the other resorts.

Sandals Negril is about 90 mins or more from the airport. Its property sits on the a long stretch of the 7 mile beach in Negril (but is public) so you can take long walks off property past other resorts and really get a feel for local culture and enjoy more beach and swimming because of this. Smaller property with a more casual caribbean design and atmosphere. Features the swim up lagoon suites, 7 restaurants, 3 pools, 3 whirlpools and is pretty close to many other attractions off resort property as well.

Sandals Montego Bay is less than 10 minutes from the airport. It was the first sandals and also has more of a casual Caribbean vibe as well as being known as a more lively and social resort experience. The downside to being close to the airport is the airplane noise. Th upside is getting more vacation time for your money spent. This resort is among 2 others located in Montego Bay. Since these 3 properties are so close to eachother, Sandals provides complementary shuttle between the 3. This means that although Sandals Montego Bay offers 8 restaurants, 4 pools, a private beach and 4 whirlpools....you actually would have unlimited access to a total of 19 dining options, 12 bars, 12 pools, 10 whirlpools, 3 beaches (4 if you count the private offshore island at Sandals Royal Caribbean) and all the amenities, features, activities and entertainment of all 3 resorts in one vacation experience.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Married at either Sandals or Couples Swept Away - just us...

Dang it, I meant to add if you did your 2nd week at another Couples you would get the resort credits at each plus romance rewards= http://couples.com/romance-rewards/

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
362 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Married at either Sandals or Couples Swept Away - just us...

If we stayed at one resort for 2 weeks would you choose Couples Swept Away or Sandals Whitehouse?

We went to the Melia Cayo Coco last year and we were bored to death. At 25 my girlfriend was the youngest person on the resort, and by 8pm the lobby was empty.

There was nothing to do.