We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Negril Tipping Changed?

Westminster...
Level Contributor
209 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Negril Tipping Changed?

I did some research on TA back in July-Aug and I remember reading about the Sandals Negril no tipping policy just like Couples resorts. We've stayed at Couples CSA so I understand the policy and tipping could lead to getting the staff in trouble. Over the last couple of months I've read a few posts describing tipping at Sandals bars, restaurants etc. I have no problem with tipping as I was once a bartender. But when I stayed at Couples I didn't tip because I didn't want to be the reason someone losses their job. Has anyone stayed at Sandals Negril in 2014 and if so has the tipping policy changed. I doubt it has but I want to make sure.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Negril Tipping Changed?

The no-tipping policy has not changed and staff can/will be fired for accepting a tip. All staff (except for butlers and spa staff) participate in a gratuity program where they each receive a piece of your paid vacation. That way even those behind the scenes, gardeners, chefs, office staff, etc., all receive recognition.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Negril Tipping Changed?

flyinburrito: Echoing Winnekini's reply #1.

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Negril Tipping Changed?

The reviews you are describing happen occasionally for all Sandals resorts. Sometimes there are either guests who do not realize that Sandals has a no tip policy or there are guests who know and do it anyways. They usually are doing it from a good hearted place and don't realize the staff can lose their jobs. But every now and again you get someone who knows the risk and doesn't care because they think they are being discreet enough. Sometimes this can be coupled with comments that lead me to believe they are just trying to use tipping as a way to buy faster service. And this is the exact reason the tipping policy is in place. It creates equal service for all guests so that the size of your wallet does not effect the outcome of your experience. It also creates equal gratuities for all the staff so that everyone involved in your vacation experience receives a tip.

So bottom line, regardless of what reviews you read or if you see a tip being given during your stay, know that the policy is in place and you should not feel pressured to tip. Your tips have been paid in your package price so you are good to go.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,268 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Negril Tipping Changed?

NO tipping, period! This is a continued topic and the answer is always the same, don't do it. Yes, you will jepordize a local worker job by doing it. We have been to many Sandals and have gotten to know some the local worker quite well. They have told us stories of their friends that have lost their jobs due to taking a tip and being caught. There is always the person that thinks they will do it anyway, obviously not really careing about the workers job. Your butler, if you have one, is the only exception. Also, keep in mind that the SPA will automatically add a 12.5% tip on your room bill for all SPA services. I put my wallet in the safe upon arrival and it never comes out.

We are back to SN in 8 days!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,659 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Negril Tipping Changed?

I'm curious, where is it stated that tipping is prohibited at the resorts? Is it at the resort themselves? I'm not finding it on Sandals web site.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
410 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Negril Tipping Changed?

http://www.sandals.com/difference/

Click on "unmatched service".

Tips Gratuities and Taxes

At Sandals tipping is prohibited and a genuine smile is all that's expected. Only personal butlers are allowed to receive tips.

I am not a big fan of their revamped website

Edited: 02 April 2014, 16:43
Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,659 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Negril Tipping Changed?

I went looking for that and couldn't find it. Maybe Sandal's could do more on their website to emphasis the fact that tipping is prohibited. It's not in their FAQ's. I knew someone here would know. But if I was new and considering Sandal's it might be nice to point this fact out stronger, before people even book.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Negril Tipping Changed?

Agreed, Anod1 - In addition, when we first started coming to Sandals back in 2005, the staff wore pins that said "No tipping" or something similar to that. We believe and have suggested that the no-tipping policy should be part of the check-in process - just a simple statement to the guest stating that tipping is not allowed, and should you wish to show your appreciation, please tell the GM or HM or other managers how much you were impressed with staff member XXX. Very simple and it would reinforce the policy.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,659 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Negril Tipping Changed?

Should be done even before check-in. Should be emphasized before booking. Make it well known before booking. That would definitely make it easier to enforcer at the resort.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
410 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Negril Tipping Changed?

I agree - the prior website was much more user friendly and it was listed in a few different spots, but they could do more. Too bad they did away with the pins - that's a great idea!