We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Negril

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Negril

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Negril, we are both mid- 30's and active. We are staying at RIU Tropical Bay for 5 days. We love to explore and are interested in a catamaran cruise, there seems to be a few that run in Negril.. any suggestions on a particular one would be awesome.

We also would like to check out the lighthouse and Pelican's, is there a tour company that would combine both of those into one tour?

Also, we are arriving on Sunday 4/27, would you recommend Club MoBay for a Sunday 1pm arrival? And any preferences on a group shuttle or a private taxi? Thanks!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Negril

Congrats on your upcoming vacation, you will love Negril! We are taking our second trip there in June. We have used Kinglsey taxi in the past and he was great and seems to have a fair price. We didn't take any catamaran trips last time but I want to this time so I will watch to see what others have to say on that.

We booked club mobay this time, we are arriving saturday at lunchtime, I think it is always a gamble whether or not the lines will be long enough to make it worth it but we decided to go for it.

Enjoy your trip! Once you go you know!

Edited: 15 April 2014, 19:13
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Negril

For another transportation option: I would recommend Rocky's. He's reliable and honest. :)

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Negril

Check out THE LIST for recommended drivers, it's located at the top right of this page. E-mail a few for prices and they'll respond very quickly. Then pick your favorite!

A private driver lets you pick the sights and set the schedule, so it's way better than a tour booked from your resort where you're on their time.

Our catamaran is included with our resort, so I can't help you there. Someone here will recommend a catamaran, I'm sure.

You can check incoming flights at flightstats.com, just check them on Sunday afternoon to see how many planes are coming in, and it probably won't change too much before your trip. If there are a lot (we have at least 8 arriving with us on a Thursday morning), it would be a good idea to book Club MoBay. For only $100 (if there are 2 of you), you can have peace of mind. And after spending thousands on a trip, what's another $100?

If you have an included shuttle (I thought I read that RIU has an included shuttle now), I'd do that. Just load up on drinks before you leave Club MoBay and the ride won't seem as long. :)

Welcome to TA! I just noticed this was your first post! :)

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,499 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Negril

The lighthouse is just a 15 min taxi ride up to the cliffs. $10 each way to or from the beach per couple. The Pelican Bar is nearly a 2 hour taxi ride, plus a short boat ride from the black Black River area. No reason to gang both places together into a single trip IMHO (assuming you meant the Negril lighthouse).

:)

Rocky Mount, North...
Level Contributor
93 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Negril

Rocky should be your go to guy for transportation. He even has a US phone #. He reponds very promptly to e mails. Even if Rocky isn't your driver. He employs some great drivers. We had Duane who was awesome.

Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,960 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Negril

RIU owns the Wild Thing catamaran which is one of the bigger/better ones. I'd book that when you arrive at the hotel. The rate is about the same as the other ones, ~$50-$55 pp for sunset cruise. An afternoon cat cruise to Half Moon Beach with a lobster lunch would be good too.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Negril

Thanks for the tip on the lighthouse :) Chris_and_Liz_VT

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Negril

Thank you Allibaba77. I ended up sending Kinglsey an email and he gave me a good quote, so we went ahead and booked with him. :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
451 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Negril

Kingsley is amazing!!! Have fun!

10. Re: First time to Negril

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 06:17