We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couples Negril mini bar

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Couples Negril mini bar

I'm sure this questions has been asked and answered a million times already, but when I do a search for it I come up with old info. So I'll ask it again...what kind of liquor is in the mini bar at Couples Negril? Just bottom shelf stuff or is it higher stuff such as Absolut? Is there a charge for higher stuff if so?

Toronto
Level Contributor
930 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couples Negril mini bar

Yes its lower shelf. Others can advise you weather you may purchase higher stuff.

Homosassa, Florida
Level Contributor
528 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couples Negril mini bar

It is lower shelf. It also includes 4 bottles Red Stripes. I tried to pay for/tip for etc. additional Red Stripe with only moderate luck. I was told none available for purchase, but offered a few dollars in tip and was given extra Red Stripe on a couple days.

The bars frequently run out of top shelf and make a big deal out of getting more, so I would imagine its a huge event to try to get top shelf into the room.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couples Negril mini bar

At CSA, you could also get Red Stripe Light. It wasn't on the form, but we wrote it in and ran into the guy one day and asked! As others have mentioned, the liquor is well stuff except you can get Appleton rum!

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Couples Negril mini bar

Ok now...this is getting to be a deal breaker. I don't want to pay tons of money for an all inclusive if they are going to keep running out of higher shelf booze. I am strictly a vodka drinker, not that I am not open to other spirits, just don't think I will like them all that much. I know they have all sorts of crazy concoctions, not sure that I'll like them and vacation is no place to be nursing a hangover because of cheap booze.

Am I right that you select what types of alcohol when you check in? I am hoping they are new sealed bottles, correct? And can I take whatever is left (specifically unopened Appleton's) when I leave?

And that is 4 beers in the room per day, so I could stockpile some in a drawer if we don't drink it all in one day and then accumulate more?

I know this all sounds trivial, but this is our first "us" vacation in 10 years and don't know when we'll get another one like this since we have 3 kids under the age of 7 and are sooo very limited in child care options (bringing them with is not an option either, maybe in another 10 years).

Also I understand there is no bottled water either?

Any problems drinking the water? Are Bubba Mugs allowed?

Thanks for all the help and info!

Homosassa, Florida
Level Contributor
528 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couples Negril mini bar

We were there last year and the "top shelf" around the pool and the beach was Stolis. There is a catch, it was either apple flavored or vanilla. That was it. There was only one bottle at a time. We had 4 of us drinking vodka and the bottle would be gone in no time. Instead of simply grabbing another bottle under the bar like you would expect they would send someone for it to god only knows where. Sometimes they would come right back and sometimes not. This was a major annoyance for us considering what we spent. Stolis isn't some crazy expensive pour, so it was annoying. They did have "Goose" at one of the reservation restaurants. We drank one pour and same thing, "Sorry we just ran out." They said they didn't restock, so we were just out of luck.

The fridge is annoying as well. Ours wasn't cold enough to actually chill the beer enough to drink. We had to take out and put on ice to make drinkable. They only give you 4 per day, some days they didn't show up at all. One day we left two in there and instead of giving us our "4" they only replaced the two missing.

You can select what type of alcohol you want. You get the cheap stuff in room except for Appleton Rum. I became a Rum drinker just because this was the most available when the vodka dried up.

No bottled water, Mugs were allowed last year at least. Our biggest complaint was that even at the bars they could not keep the beer cold, everyone was complaining. No one likes warm beer. Hopefully they got it figured out, we picked another place this year, not taking the chance.

Toronto
Level Contributor
930 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couples Negril mini bar

The bottles in your mini bar are full brand new 750 ml, but they are opened and have a pour spout on each one , so no you cannot bring them home with you.

Southern California
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couples Negril mini bar

I don't think that is what Couples had in mind when offering this service. Not sure which AI's offer unlimited, top shelf mini bar service (maybe Sandals)...

FYI-I think there are 4 or 5 bars on site and the resort is not that large. Some are open at different times but getting enough alcohol should not be a problem. Bringing it home may be...

If this is "a deal breaker" you should reconsider resort selection and find one that will be a better fit.

clinton,on
Level Contributor
672 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couples Negril mini bar

We just returned 2 weeks ago and the bottles that we had delivered to our room (red wine, vodka and rum) were all sealed. The water out of the taps is drinkable and there is lots of water and flavoured water dispensers around. You can take a bubba mug but if you are having beach service the waiter will pour the drinks in your mug and not take the mug to the bar. If you take it to the bar yourself no problem. There was grey goose available at the restaurants and they didn't run out. My husband drinks beer and it was cold--no problem

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couples Negril mini bar

<Not sure which AI's offer unlimited, top shelf mini bar service (maybe Sandals)...>

No, and unless you have a higher end room, your mini bar has only water, soda, juice. At Sandals (IME) you cannot even get Goose at their bars.

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Couples Negril mini bar

clintontraveler--thanks so much for the info. I had just about given up on Couples Negril and switched my focus to Sandals Whitehouse. Upon further thought, I don't think it is all that important about the room booze, but I don't want to drink cheap vodka the rest of the time. The goose wasn't flavored was it?