We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overnight in MoBay before heading out?

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
overnight in MoBay before heading out?

I was wondering does anyone every book a one night in mobay at an inexpensive hotel before heading to their destination. I was thinking especially in terms of flights that get in later (to save one night at an AI)? If so, where have you stayed that is fairly close to the airport?

Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: overnight in MoBay before heading out?

I would book at a non AI in Negril.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,866 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: overnight in MoBay before heading out?

read thru this older thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147311-i93-k15114…

Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,866 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: overnight in MoBay before heading out?

Here is a sat image of Toby Inn: wikimapia.org/…b

Toby is located at the white "+" in the center of the image and the airport is in the upper right.

You can zoom in to Toby to see the layout of the facilities.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: overnight in MoBay before heading out?

ThanksHedo and Melody - Is there a non AI in Negril (as that would be our ultimate destination) that you would recommend - it would need to allow kids as young as 7 and 4 in a room. Clean, safe - a place to lay our heads before heading to the pricier AI in the am. We are looking at flights that wouldn't get us into MoBay until 7:30 pm - I would think at least 9:30-10:00 before we could even arrive in Negril. So, a cheap room on night 1 would be awesome.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,866 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: overnight in MoBay before heading out?

Toby Inn sounds like a more viable solution for me. The flight from Canada is long enough, then immigration and customs (which should take just minutes), then a 1.5 hour transport to Negril sounds like a long day. Your AI does not has to have a room until probably 3pm. So stay overnight in MoBay (Toby is just 5 minutes from Sangster and provides a very cheap transport), have a leisurely breakfast the next morning, transport to Negril, arrive, leave baggage with the porter, go sit on the beach, have lunch, get room.

Edited: 02 May 2014, 21:18
Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: overnight in MoBay before heading out?

Too_Cold

I agree with Genuine we have done pre nights (anywhere from 1-7nts) at several non inclusive boutique resorts in Negril prior to our 7 night stay at Beaches Negril (or post nights) with our daughter and when we stay as a couple at SN or CSA or both.

We prefer to enjoy our first evening in Negril and wake up in Negril. The boutique resort choices are much better in Negril than in MoBay, just my opinion & preference.

Look at CocoLaPalm (depends when you are traveling though as renovations going on now but may not bother you or you might get a good deal) also Idle Awhile next door or Charela Inn. For a more economical choice check out Kuyaba.

You all can wake up (at this point you will all be so happy you are in Negril!) enjoy the beach & call your AI resort to check on your previously requested early check in. Catch a cab dressed in your swimsuits and coverups with beach bags (with passports, credit card, cash & electronics in your beach bag) in hand and if your room is not ready when you arrive, no problem they will hold your bags, go and start enjoying the beach and all of the inclusions of the property.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Beaches Negril Resort...
5,556 Reviews
Jamaica
CocoLaPalm Resort
CocoLaPalm Resort
1,247 Reviews
Jamaica
Kuyaba Hotel & Restaurant - Negril
Kuyaba Hotel...
360 Reviews
Jamaica
Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,706 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: overnight in MoBay before heading out?

I've only stayed in MoBay twice for an overnight - it was the only two times I booked a ridiculously early flight out of MoBay and instead of leaving Negril at 3:00am (this was so long ago that the road from MoBay to Negril was not finished) I opted to spend a night in MoBay.

Once it was at a Holiday Inn (not there anymore, no it was not Sunspree) and the other time I think it was the Glorianna.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
803 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: overnight in MoBay before heading out?

I am with hedo. You won't be able to get into your negril hotel until afternoon. Might as well get to bed at a half way decent hour? Then get up and eat breakfast, then head to negril. Sorry though, I don't know of any cheaper hotels on Mobay, so I would go with what hedo or others recommend.

Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: overnight in MoBay before heading out?

When are you travelling Too_Cold? Off season, you can get some good deals at the non AI's.

Charela, Idle Awhile, Coco, Treehouse, Rondel, among others have rooms with two beds. Charela & Idle Awhile being the more expensive, typically. I like to look on Trivago.ca for room prices for my dates. I've used that and booked a great deal via Booking.com...or you can get an idea of prices, and email the hotel directly for a quote (asking them to match the price you found).

Depending on the night, you may find Kuyaba noisy (Alfred's live band, ~3nights a week).

I've done the WJ flight, arriving at 7:30 pm. It's a long day, but the ride to Negril helps relax after getting out of the airport. You can get a private airport transfer for ~$60/couple, not sure what they'd charge for your kids. Well worth it after the long day of traveling, and you'll be in Negril in good time.

Mentioned in this post
Kuyaba Hotel & Restaurant - Negril
Kuyaba Hotel...
360 Reviews
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: overnight in MoBay before heading out?

Melody...given our wonderful winters in sask, hoping February...we haven't gone off season yet. I would love to go in July sometime though.