We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about YS Falls Vs Mayfield Falls

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question about YS Falls Vs Mayfield Falls

I've done considerable reading and even watched a few youtube vids of each of the waterfalls. My question relys more on which Falls is more physically exerting (the walk, the climbing, etc) My husband has a lung disease in the early stages (O2 Sats still in a great range) but he does get winded with heavy exertion. We are typically doing low key type activities but we really wanted to see one of the falls as we have never seen waterfalls before. Is one less exerting over the other?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about YS Falls Vs Mayfield Falls

Mayfield takes over an hour to walk the length of the tour upstream through gradual rapids and pools of cool water then back again along a path beside the river. YS takes 15 minutes to get to the top of the falls at an easy pace on a steep incline then you walk back down again. Neither involve a lot of exertion if you pace yourself.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about YS Falls Vs Mayfield Falls

Thanks Blues, with that in mind then which one would you say would be the best experience the prettiest etc.

Unfortunately we only have time for one

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about YS Falls Vs Mayfield Falls

Love Mayfield. Peaceful, relaxing, all at your own pace with private guide. You get to go in the short falls. Very scenic with lots of vegetation. Few people. The hardest part for me was walking the hill back up to the car. There are benches to sit and rest along the way. Just tell your guide you're going to take it very slow, and do so, making use of the benches as long as you want. Take water shoes. Enjoy!

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
882 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about YS Falls Vs Mayfield Falls

Agree Mayfield is the best---

Grass Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
182 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about YS Falls Vs Mayfield Falls

We went to Mayfield Falls in March. My husband and i loved it. The drive was awsome. You get to see alot of the country side. The path to get to the falls was beautiful and so were the falls. Definately bring your water shoes. The guides are very friendly and patient. They will help you along the way and tell you exactly where to step.They will take pictures for you also. They carry a waterproof bag to put your stuff, camera or phone into. Very nice and helpful guides. Lots of stairs and had to climb a few rocks. The walk out was a little exhausting. It is steep and lots of stairs. Just take your time and enjoy the scenery. We didn't take a tour we just had a cab take us for $25.00 american a person. There was 4 of us so look around for prices. Have fun.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about YS Falls Vs Mayfield Falls

Mayfield is also closer.... about an hour's drive from Negril, vs. a little shy of 2 hours for YS. So if you're on the fence, Mayfield will be ~1.5 hrs less total driving time.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about YS Falls Vs Mayfield Falls

Beachnurse,

After due consideration I would not recommend Mayfield. The river walk itself is great but that climb up the steep hill on those 150 or so steps to get to the car would be a major concern even with rest stops. Against all other opinions if your husband gets winded easily I suggest that YS is the better option.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,594 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about YS Falls Vs Mayfield Falls

We haven't been to Mayfield Falls yet but have been to YS Falls. I have slight mobility issues (knees) and found it fairly easy to climb the wooden stairs alongside the falls. There are landings on the flight of stairs to use as rest stops, and it isn't necessary to actually go in the water to reach the top. One thing I did wish I had brought along was water shoes as I found the rocks slippery when I went in the water.

The other nice thing is that YS Falls has a couple of spring-fed pools which are quite nice to relax around.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about YS Falls Vs Mayfield Falls

Thank you everyone for your input. After much consideration and all the wonderful input we have considered YS falls. I'm not thrilled about the longer drive and Mayfield does seem very peaceful and beautiful I just don't want to chance all the walking and stair climbing with my husband. Thanks again everyone this forum is so wonderfully helpful.

Vassalboro, Maine
Level Contributor
457 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about YS Falls Vs Mayfield Falls

Good Choice. Mayfield is beautiful but considering your husband's health, the stairs would be too much for him. I believe that YS falls provides a some sort of wagon or jitney that takes you partially up to the falls area. I'm not sure because it's been a long time since I've been to YS Falls. I know that I had some awesome patties at YS Falls when I was there. Mayfield is worth the visit though. I loved walking in the water and even jumping into one of the deeper pools. Have a great trip !!