We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keeping in touch - cell phone apps - foocall? viber?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Keeping in touch - cell phone apps - foocall? viber?

Hello again! This question is about cell phone service...between the 2 of us, we have verizon and sprint. we also have foocall (pay service for international calls) and viber (free and use more for local and international for those who have wifi).

We're not staying long enough to arrange for other cell phone service...does anyone happen to know if either one of these apps will suffice?

Or recommendations for other apps for use from USA to Negril.

As always thanks TA family!

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,846 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keeping in touch - cell phone apps - foocall? viber?

If you are OK with only being reachable when on wi-fi, I'd think any of those would work fine. Make sure you put your phone in airplane mode if you don't want unpleasant surprises when you get home.

United States
Level Contributor
11,090 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keeping in touch - cell phone apps - foocall? viber?

Wifi is available at many hotels in Jamaica. At some hotels wifi is free to paying guests but at other hotels with wifi there is charge. Charges at a number of hotels I know of the wifi costs in the $US15 per day range. You may want to contact your hotel and ask about wifi availability (do not just assume that they have it).

For all of your phone options see the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-s605/Jamaica:…

NY
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keeping in touch - cell phone apps - foocall? viber?

Ok! So airplane mode even when off the plane? Just curious what "surprises"? Thanks!

NY
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keeping in touch - cell phone apps - foocall? viber?

Thank you. Our hotel does have wifi - at least for sure in the lobby areas. I think so of the rooms also might...good idea, will check with them. :)

United States
Level Contributor
11,090 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keeping in touch - cell phone apps - foocall? viber?

"Just curious what "surprises"?"

A cell phone bill for hundreds or even thousands of dollars. For examples of people who were "surprised" see the following

…wsj.com/news/articles/SB1000142405270230433…

san antonio
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keeping in touch - cell phone apps - foocall? viber?

You can leave it on airplane mode and then turn on wifi.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,846 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keeping in touch - cell phone apps - foocall? viber?

Yes - airplane mode keeps your phone from connecting to a cell network for data or calls. If you allow it to connect you may get a large bill when you get home. You can as sayedoc says, put it in airplane mode then connect to wi-fi.

Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
803 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keeping in touch - cell phone apps - foocall? viber?

I take my iPhone and take the SIM card out. Then use the text now app, which you can make calls from too. I can also send messages through Facebook too with my phone.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Keeping in touch - cell phone apps - foocall? viber?

I only use wifi when abroad. Texts through Whatsapp or Tango. IM's through Facebook and if absolutely necessary, calls through Tango or MagicJack.

10. Re: Keeping in touch - cell phone apps - foocall? viber?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 07:16