We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphins

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vassalboro, Maine
Level Contributor
457 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Dolphins

Are Dolphins a common sight in Negril ? We haven't been back in years but never experienced any Dolphins. Thanks, in advance, for your posts

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphins

Dolphins do occupy the Negril waters. Have seen them on some 5 percent of my scuba dives. So I would say that they are not commonly seen. They are not approachable.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphins

When we were there in August, we saw a pod of dolphins feeding when we were out fishing. I've never seen them in my other visits though.

Vassalboro, Maine
Level Contributor
457 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphins

Thanks people. My wife likes fish about the size of a " gold fish !"

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
882 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphins

I have seen them in the ocean out from Seagrape quite a few times----also every now and then a turtle will surface.....

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphins

You can see them daily if you stay up on the West End.

Mayville, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolphins

We've seen dolphins off the cliffs at SamSara many times...

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,876 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolphins

As said, off the cliffs they are fairly common.

This photo was taken by Dream Team Divers in Negril recently, they are pretty darn close!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Ido8if3JN…

If you want to see them up close your best bet is to get a boat from Treasure Beach to Black River or Pelican Bar. I've done that trip maybe 8 times and had dolphins come to our boat and swim around and play 7 of those times. Only one we missed was later in the day, we were going to Pelican for sunset, I assume they were busy elsewhere.

Vassalboro, Maine
Level Contributor
457 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dolphins

Great link. We love nature and all God's creatures. It would be fantastic to sit on the edge of the cliff at West End and watch a pod of dolphins go by.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dolphins

HI MikeyMon2014, I stay on the West End cliffs and I may see them two or three times a week if I keep my eyes peeled on the sea. I used to see them almost daily years ago. The best time for me has been in the morning so I "dolphin watch" with my morning coffee. Sometimes they will hang out in the beautiful cove in front of Citronella/The Caves. Many times they are just passing by and the sightings only last a minute or so but they are beautiful in the open sea. Thrilling really. I have no desire to see them in captivity. Good luck in your sightings.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,019 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dolphins

Ditto the west end comments. Like sfjam, we've routinely seen them every couple of days, usually when we're relaxing on our patio at Seagrape or Mirage over lunch of in the afternoon for an hour or 2. Most typically we'll see 2-4 of them, but have seen close to 10 a couple of times. (Once ~8-9 about 50 ft away when the Couples boat was cruising by close to shore, and assumably feeding them.)