We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Around Negril

London, UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling Around Negril

Hi All,

I know there are numorous posts about recomended drivers but would like to clarify something.

We are staying on the beach and will likely go in the early eveing to/from the Cliffs 4-6 times during our vacation.

As we will make the journey a few times but know its not too far, should we use one of the recomended drivers or just use the red plates from the journey to and from the Cliffs?

Thanks in advance!

United States
Level Contributor
12,771 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Around Negril

For basic transportation from one point to another in Negril I would use one of the standard red plate taxies.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
san francisco
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Around Negril

If you are going to a restaurant on the cliffs many have a free pick up. Check it out. I use route taxis only now. It is one US per person from the Round-a-bout. If you are on the beach it is one US from the beach to the Round-a-bout or you can walk if you are close enough. Make sure you establish a price BEFORE you get in the taxi and only ride with red plated taxis. Route taxis generally are white with route taxi stenciled on the side. They are usually station wagons and they do stop en route to pick up and drop off patrons. It's a great way to travel locally.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,865 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Around Negril

I believe the cost of a route taxi is now JA$150. sfjam is correct about taking two different route taxis from the beach to the cliffs.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Around Negril

It was J130 when I was there in March.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,865 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Around Negril

Maybe you got the resident discount!!

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,701 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling Around Negril

Route Taxis ARE for residents - no discounts. It was 130JMD on the cliff/West End route when I was there this past winter. Is it possible that the beach route is 20JMD more?

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling Around Negril

No it's the same price., on the beach road or west end road.

You don't have to negotiate the price before you get in either. Just pay the set fee.

There are no separate local or tourist prices in the red plates. It's really just whether you know or not.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 18:21
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling Around Negril

It is 130.

Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling Around Negril

While being $130, I automatically think and tell other visitors $150, for convenience of paying and I figure non residents can pay a little more than locals.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling Around Negril

And most people do give more anyway. Imo

gM. I don't think you should give your own resident / non resident fees in information you provide. I know you probably come from a good place in doing this, but it gives mixed messages.

When the businesses do this, they get slaughtered on TA and other forums for ripping off the tourist.

Tipping and overpaying is always an individual choice. Visitors help the economy anyway by choosing to holiday in Jamaica.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean