We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

45 minute connection in Atlanta to MBJ

nashville
Level Contributor
64 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
45 minute connection in Atlanta to MBJ

I'm probably answering my own question but....this is cutting it close ain't it:

Coming from bna leaving at 545am getting to Atl at 7:33am my flight to Montego Bay is at 8:15am.

North Lewisburg...
Level Contributor
747 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 45 minute connection in Atlanta to MBJ

I hate close connections in Atlanta ,being its so big. Everytime we fly there from Columbus , Oh we have a delay in Atlanta before we take off. Sprinting across that airport is no fun.

Rhodelia, Kentucky
Level Contributor
106 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: 45 minute connection in Atlanta to MBJ

I'm trying to plan my route ahead of time !! Lol

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: 45 minute connection in Atlanta to MBJ

Checked the Atlanta Airport website and the good news is Delta flight 959 arrives at 7:28, a bit early, Bad news is that it arrived at gate A21. Almost all Delta fights to MBJ depart on concourse E. The means its at least a 10 minute train ride !!! Don't worry too much, there were still 3 more flights to MBJ later in the morning (day). I would however wear some very comfortable shoes, the ones that you can run in !!! I do recall Delta holding the plane for a few minutes for late connecting passengers.

nashville
Level Contributor
64 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 45 minute connection in Atlanta to MBJ

Damn.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: 45 minute connection in Atlanta to MBJ

Let everyone know how it turned out !!

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 45 minute connection in Atlanta to MBJ

For our wedding in December, I scheduled our boys on Southwest/Airtran with a 52 minute layover connection in Atlanta. 2 Weeks before the wedding they notified us that they were cancelling the flight due to a "mis-connect". They said they need one hour for a layover. The airline gave me 3 options, cancel the package I booked through them, cancel the flights, or a refund.

After much arguing with the airline, and at that point in time, the cost of other flights jumping on other airlines they offered to fly them with two layovers to get back, (it was a lower cost flight, but of course they didn't offer me the difference) or another option would have been to stay the night in Atlanta and catch a flight out the next day. Fortunately, they arrived in plenty of time and were able to get on the original flight at the airport by asking at the desk. The airline explained that with international flights they need more time to clear customs and immigration.

Let me clarify that this was on the return flight, re-entering the US which makes a difference too.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 13:28
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: 45 minute connection in Atlanta to MBJ

On the return to the US flight, US customs does take a while to clear your luggage. (recall the food smelling Beagle). Really the only plus, in using the new terminal) for Atlanta travelers is that we no longer have to recheck our bags anymore. If you return flight actually lands at the New International terminal, I'm not sure of what happens. I hear its a real pain however !!!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: 45 minute connection in Atlanta to MBJ

You will get some better answers on the Atlanta forum if you post there.

For what it's worth, we used ATL over our home airport in CLT in March for a trip to Honduras and couldn't have been happier, both on departing and returning. So much so, in fact, we are using it again in July for another international flight. I find the ATL airport very user friendly and cheaper than CLT, even with the cost of driving down there.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: 45 minute connection in Atlanta to MBJ

On our last trip to Jamaica it had taken us two days, many plane rides and an unplanned trip to Philadelphia from Chicago to get there:( Keep in mind this was the Midwest in the winter but really it came down to a lot of unavoidable issues on the part of the airlines. What we learned is to take a very long layover if you have to take connecting flights. It may seem like you are giving up vacation time but in our case we gave way more vacation time and more money. Crossing my fingers for you, remember even if things do not go as planned, you really do not care once you are there:)

Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
478 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: 45 minute connection in Atlanta to MBJ

We have flown Delta connecting in Atlanta for over twenty years without much drama. Except the time the train was down and we had to walk the entire way to E concourse. We used to have a 58 min layover but took the first flight out of Grand Rapids, MI so we suffered no flight delays to ATL. Nearly every time, a month before departure, we would get a Delta flight notification that our schedule had changed and we would get additional minutes before the connecting flight would take off making the connect time 1hr, 10 minutes. We have had very good luck with short connections. However as we got older and my back got worse we booked so that we have two hours between flights getting in to MoBay and hour later. Worth it not to have to rush or worry.