We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Negril AND Somewhere Else

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
362 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Negril AND Somewhere Else

I just got engaged and CONVINCED my new fiancee to allow me to plan a Honeymoon in Negril, as long as we wen't somewhere else as well. I love Negril and she likes it too, but she didn't want to go someplace we've been before. That said, I've convinced her. Here's the dilemma - we are planning on honeymooning for 10-14 days and coming from the states (Detroit) - we ideally want to start off with Negril and spend about half our time there, and then head somewhere else in the Caribbean - preferably a quick flight from either Kingston or MoBay. St Lucia was the first choice, but it seemed difficult to find direct flights to St Lucia from Jamaica.

Recommendations appreciated! Help - need a good place with a direct flight from Jamaica, and then and easy place to get back to the states from. Going somewhere else in Jamaica was floated as an idea, but we kind of want to experience a diff. culture - but recommendations as far as that goes are appreciated!

Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
12,383 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Negril AND Somewhere Else

Your options are limited unless you want to change planes in Miami. Take a look at going to Grand Cayman, Providenciales and Trinidad.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
362 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Negril AND Somewhere Else

Thanks - This is exactly what I was hoping NOT to do. I can't believe there are so little direct flights out of Jamaica to elsewhere.

Perhaps I can convince her to do 50% of our time on the cliffs and 50% of our time on the beach. We will see.

Keep em coming!

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,218 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Negril AND Somewhere Else

Grand Cayman airlines flies in and out of Montego Bay.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,218 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Negril AND Somewhere Else

Actually out of Kingston you have many more options: Bridgetown Barbados, Curacao, Nassau, Grand Cayman and Antigua. I am sure there are more, but that is the flights I noticed over the next 3 days. I could not pull up the Friday or Saturday flight schedule, but I have a feeling there will be more. Take a look at Flightstats, and it shows you all flights out and into Jamaica by airport:

flightstats.com/go/…flightStatusByAirport.do

Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,978 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Negril AND Somewhere Else

You can fly to Bahamas from Mobay. I think Panama as well.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,291 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Negril AND Somewhere Else

There are many parts of Jamaica that are NOTHING like Negril. Try Port Antonio or the Blue Mountains or Treasure Beach or a villa near Robins Bay....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Negril AND Somewhere Else

We actually just got back and did the same thing but we started with a cruise out of Miami first. It worked out great with the airfare. You're probably going to have fly back to Miami to get anywhere anyways. Not sure if a cruise interests you but I enjoyed the two different vacations packed into one.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,218 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Negril AND Somewhere Else

Did you cruise out of Miami, and then exit the boat in Jamaica ? Did you have to set that up with the cruise line in advance?

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in Negril AND Somewhere Else

i'm with ohliz - try another area of Jamaica - it's a pretty big island - by all accounts Port Antonio is very beautiful and the region has not seen much development so it is more pristine than the rest of the island.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in Negril AND Somewhere Else

I also like ohliz's idea. Getting a villa in another area would be a different experience and IMO a great idea for a honeymoon.

Here's another idea for you; http://yourcubacruise.com/ . You can board the ship in MoBay.