We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort shuttle or cab?

7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Resort shuttle or cab?

Hello all!

My husband and I are first-timers traveling to Negril on Friday June 20th, arriving about 1:20 PM. We are staying at RPTB. I've already purchased Club Mobay for our arrival/departure, but am wondering if we should forgo the Riu shuttle and book a private taxi. I'd hate to zip through customs with Club Mobay, and then have to sit and wait for the shuttle and endure all the stopping along the way.

Any thoughts or tips?

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort shuttle or cab?

Most resort shuttles leave once they're full, so you won't have to wait for people on your plane to get there before you leave. You're arriving during a busy time, so you shouldn't have to wait long.

It's a personal preference, but I can't see paying for something that's already included. Get some snacks and a few drinks to go from Club MoBay and enjoy the ride to Negril! You'll chat with people you'll see for the next week, so it's a good time to make some new friends.

My best tip would be to bring a Bubba mug in your carry on. We filled our 34 ouncers at Club MoBay when we got there, and they lasted all the way to Negril. Nothing like some rum punch to put you in the mood!

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort shuttle or cab?

I didn't even think of bringing a drink along. Actually, I forgot you can even do that, lol. Great idea! Thanks for the input!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,923 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort shuttle or cab?

Just to be clear, RIU does not provide transport from/to airport and a RU resort.

Whatever travel agency you used has organized transport with a commercial company that provides transport for a lot of resorts. Sometimes the transport is just for one resort and more often it is organized for many resorts along the way to your's (fortunately, RPTB is one of the first ones in Negril). Many of these commercial transports wait for a full bus before departure but the wait may not be long if the van/bus is stopping at several other resorts.

Somewhere in your travel documents there should be a transport pass which will inform you which desk to look for in the Sangster transportation hall. Common ones are desk 3, 15, and maybe 1 or 17.

The advantage to a private transport is that you leave immediately and the first stop is your resort.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort shuttle or cab?

Double check to see if your TA has already added the transport for you. If not, the private driver is the best option as they will be waiting for you and there will be no other stops along the way. Enjoy.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
859 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort shuttle or cab?

I've done both the included shuttle and the private taxi and I prefer the private taxi. The last thing I want to deal with after a long day of traveling is a couple of loud people dictating to everyone else on the bus whether we will stop or not on the way. I'd rather skip all that, spend the $50 and stop or don't stop if we want.

North Lewisburg...
Level Contributor
843 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort shuttle or cab?

Thanks Julie S for the recommendation of the bubba mug, I would have never of thought of that. Our first year we stayed at the Jewel DUnns River, we waited 45 min for the bus to fill up. The. Driver never made any stops . It was fun being excited with the other travlers, but now we rather spring for our own driver . It's faster, educational and you will make a good friend .

7. Re: Resort shuttle or cab?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 06:15