We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many duty free bottles can you return with?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
How many duty free bottles can you return with?

Was wondering how many bottles of hard to find rums my wife and I could return with duty free?

United States
Level Contributor
11,246 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many duty free bottles can you return with?

See the following for details

https:/…20alcohol

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many duty free bottles can you return with?

To fill in some more info:

You can bring back as much booze as you like as long as it looks like it is for personal use (vs. commercial quantities).

Those liters in excess of the duty-free allowance are taxed at 3 percent of what you paid for it. This means it is important to keep purchase receipts so you can prove what you paid for the rum, etc. otherwise the customs officer may use the US-based purchase price for the tax calculation.

Additionally, customs does not collect duty tax unless it exceeds a certain value. Decades ago, that threshold was $10 and it is likely to have increased in the meantime. Lets assume it is now $20; that means that you can have a little over $650 in dutiful imports before you will pay anything.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many duty free bottles can you return with?

In our experience, just be honest if you brought back more than the allotted amount. We've been waved through every time. They don't want to fill out all of that paperwork for just a few bottles over the limit.

Also, I've heard that rum cream does not count in your total since it's so low in alcohol. We've never been stopped for rum cream, either.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many duty free bottles can you return with?

Sangster's Rum Creme is 17 percent alcohol by volume. So it is hardly low in alcohol; it is more than wine.

Both rum creme and wine count as booze.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many duty free bottles can you return with?

Guess I was wrong on that one but it doesn't change the fact that we've brought in all we could carry (and had more in our checked bags) and still never had to pay anything.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,017 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many duty free bottles can you return with?

you lucky americans :) If I exceed limits in Canada you get pulled into secondary (or at least CBSA does at my home airport). At least I can buy sangster at my local liquor store :)

Houston Texas
Level Contributor
303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many duty free bottles can you return with?

Leaving Jamaica I was told 3liters. At customs in Houston I was told ONE! He said he wouldn't charge me this time. But that's bs.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,915 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many duty free bottles can you return with?

I had heard - not sure whether it's accurate or not - that they are generally "most" concerned with the purchase of "clear" liquors - rum, vodka, gin, etc., - as opposed to the alternates (Bailey's, kahlua, rum cream, etc.). Like I said, not sure if this is accurate or not, but it is generally what we have experienced.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many duty free bottles can you return with?

Too Cold, that's the trade off! You can buy it at home, so you don't need to bring it back! :)

Miss Nat, we are told each time that they'll let it go this time, and not to do it again. I'm good with that. :)

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
886 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How many duty free bottles can you return with?

MissNat is right. Texas has stricter rules. We prefer a connection on return to avoid the hassle.