We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelers checks ? To or not to?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Travelers checks ? To or not to?

I have not been to Negril since 2010 I used them at scotia bank and it was groovy. Should I get them again.

san antonio
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelers checks ? To or not to?

I think they are past they're prime. This last trip I used cash and supplemented with ATM withdrawals.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelers checks ? To or not to?

How much were the fees for your ATM ?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Port Antonio
Level Contributor
970 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelers checks ? To or not to?

I still use them. They are however harder to obtain. All it took was one time driving around to several ATM machines that were out of cash to realize I still like the "old school" method plus my bank changes 3% plus this and that so too many fees.

United States
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelers checks ? To or not to?

I use travelers check all the time.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,135 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelers checks ? To or not to?

We bring enough cash along for tips and miscellaneous, and then it's the CC for everything else. Our CC company has no fees at all for all foreign transactions.

Deadwood, South...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelers checks ? To or not to?

I always take them. So convenient. Yes, they are getting harder to find, but sure beats paying for a taxi to take you to the cash machine to find out it's out of order, or having a compromised credit card. If the places I stayed didn't take them, then I'd be forced to do something else, but so far haven't had any issues whatsoever.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelers checks ? To or not to?

So I will be ok cashing them at Scotia bank ? I did in 2010.

Vassalboro, Maine
Level Contributor
457 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelers checks ? To or not to?

If you are a AAA member, you can get a Visa travel card which you load right there in their office. I max. amt. to load is $ 1,500.00 US. You use this just like an ATM card. My wife and I were at Samsara approx. one month ago and used it at the place next to Burger King by the round a bout. The carge was $ 3.00 per transaction. There is NO FEE at the AAA office.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelers checks ? To or not to?

We use the ATM's and have never had a problem getting cash... We have a Cdn Scotia account so pay no fees at the Scotia ATM's in JA

Deadwood, South...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelers checks ? To or not to?

I've always cashed them at the motels where I stay, usually a hundred at a time.