We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobay or Negril?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nj
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mobay or Negril?

This will be our first time in Jamaica. Just booked a room at a B&B in Montego Bay close to Doctor's beach. However, I'm not sure if we should switch to Negril? I'm scared after reading some of the reviews on montego bay. We are not the type of people who can sit at the resort all day and never venture out of the hotel.

Interested in beach time, snorkeling and being able to eat out in several restaurants.

Is it a long drive to and from the airport to Negril? Any suggestions for hotels in negril would be great ($150 or less/nt).

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Nashville
Level Contributor
461 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobay or Negril?

We went to Jamaica last September for the first time. We stayed at Coco LaPalm in Negril for 4 nights and loved it!! Had a fabulous tIme! We stayed our. Last night in MoBay just to check it out and to be close to the airport. We didn't like MoBay at all! If you like the beach it's Negril hands down. We liked Negril so much that we are going back in 3 weeks but we will not be staying at all in MoBay.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobay or Negril?

Pre2

Negril is only an hour twenty minute drive from the MBJ airport and well worth the drive to stay on the 7 Mile Beach. The Long Bay Beach section in particular as you can easily walk the beach to easily access local shops, beach bars & restaurants during the day and take a red plate taxi at night.

You also have the West End Cliff area of Negril to explore with many nice sunset cocktail and dining options like Ivans @ Catcha Falling Star and lunch at Xtabi during the day with snorkeling off the cliffs as well as a sea level entry point from the cave at Xtabi. (bring your own equipment)

Snorkeling options are available daily right off the beach on Long Bay, seek out Famous Vincent he will take good care of you and provide a fun snorkeling excursion.

Recommending a boutique style resort for you in your price range depends greatly on the month and week you plan to travel as rates are higher in high travel season which is Dec 15 - April 15. Go to negrilonestop.com to check out some (not all are listed here) of the properties in Negril on Long Bay Beach.

CocoLaPalm is one of my long time favorite boutique style resorts to stay in Negril at a good price. Great friendly helpful staff, excellent location and nice beach & seafront. Once again your time of travel is important as they have some renos going on right now but may be finished by the time you travel.

Negril is a one of a kind special place which I think you would really enjoy exploring.

Enjoy your research and your time in Jamaica!

Level Contributor
98 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobay or Negril?

I have spent one vacation in Montego Bay and over 20 vacations in Negril.

Negril has miles of white sand beach lined with small resorts, beach bars and restaurants. Live entertainment is available many evenings as well as a few afternoons. If you want to get out and about and mingle with a few locals this is the place to do it.

Check out negrilonestop.com for some great pictures of a variety of resorts in Negril.

Nj
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobay or Negril?

Thank you (I'd rather be in cancun)!

Nj
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobay or Negril?

Thank you negrilbeachlovergirl and justchuckfl. Sounds more and more like I may enjoy Negril!

We are planning on going last week in november. So we are looking for just a very clean hotel that is right on the beach.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobay or Negril?

Pre2

CocoLaPalm will be going through renovations until sometime in December last time I checked. In JA time this may be Jan or Feb, however; Christmas & New Years weeks are big for the owners family and repeat guests so they may meet that deadline in addition to high season occupancy levels and wanting to fill those rooms.

Take a look at Charela Inn, gardenview room off season rates are $160/nt including taxes and service fees and well worth the price. Charela is right next to CocoLaPalm, great location, beachfront & seafront with a very good restaurant on site, Le Vendome.

If you are traveling during American Thanksgiving (Nov 27) week rates may or may not be higher at some resorts.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobay or Negril?

If beach cottages appeal to you, have a look at Country Country on Negrilonestop. If you stay for 7 nights, you pay for 6, which keeps it under budget. Wonderful made to order breakfast is included in the rate. Have stayed twice and love it. It is boutique to me in that it has just 20 cottages, some standalone and some with an upper and lower unit. They are expanding rooms so it will eventually be over 30 but all the outside work has been done for sometime so there wouldn't be any disturbance if they're not finished by your stay.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobay or Negril?

Everyone on this thread have captured the difference so well, and given you good tips already.

I don't like Montego Bay at all... It's too big, and much more expensive, with no real personality.

Agree with changing to negril..

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobay or Negril?

When I read the title of your thread, I thought you were joking.

Negril hands down.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobay or Negril?

We know Mobey well and what it's like at night on the street which Drs. Cave and all the nightlife is near your BnB. We have stayed many places close by and went to bars and clubs at night. You will get hassled on the street at night sooner than later by street urchins - the same ones that hang out on streets with night life everywhere in the world that are loud, mouthy and up to little good. We are global travellers and can deal with it but for most people it can be frightening and intimidating. The police presence is scant btw - and you will find lots of hustlers from the girly bars aggressively coaxing you in...it matters not to them if your wife is beside you.

Hands down Negril is more laid back and hassle-free but does have beach higglers trying to make a living. As others have suggested, go with Negril if your flying into MBJ.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 05:18