We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to the Grand Ligo Negril

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to the Grand Ligo Negril

Hi, there's a Groupon right now for GLN.

www.groupon.com/deals/ga-grand-lido-negril-3

The fine print says you have to fly into an airport that's 10 minutes away. Great right? No! It's not the international important on Jamaica.

What has been past folk's experience getting to GLN? Taxi? Bus? At what cost?

Thanks! Looking to go in October for a honeymoon!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to the Grand Ligo Negril

Actually we flew from Montego Bay to Negril ,that airport is literally across the street from the Grand Lido ,we flew into it ,was a nice flight with the pilot pointing out all the famous peoples houses on the way ,even let me steer for a second,lol ,but once there,the taxi driver and ( i'm your man ) for ANYTHING you might need, took us a roundabout way to make it look like it was further than it was ,so he could charge us more,could see the planes landing at the airport later,Tell him to go to the resort across the highway,lol.was worth the money as when we got there we were all settled in BEFORE all the bus riders got there ,that was worth it in itself, have fun

Mentioned in this post
Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to the Grand Ligo Negril

First, my reading of the fine print does not say you "have" to fly into the Negril Aerodrome. I read it as an option.

Second, there is no 'public' bus service from MBJ to Negril.

The choices are

taxi from the taxi queue at the airport

group van/bus (meaning the transport generally does not leave until full)

shared van (somewhat more personalized service)

private (prearranged) driver

Puddle jumper flights to/from Negril

Helicopter service (boy will that be expensive)

In the upper right corner of this webpage is a link starting with "THE LIST" which has recommendations for private transport operators. They are reliable, safe and competent at what they do. I use a private driver. Pricing can range from US$55 to US$70 for 1 to 4 folks one way. A smaller shared van service can be cheaper.

United States
Level Contributor
12,705 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to the Grand Ligo Negril

"What has been past folk's experience getting to GLN?"

For all of your transfer options from the airport to the hotel see the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147313-s301/Negril:J…

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,707 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to the Grand Ligo Negril

I thought GLN offered airport transfers as a part of their package?

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to the Grand Ligo Negril

I have never used Groupon and was looking at their GLN deal. I have a silly question. Do you have to purchase 2 Deals if you are a couple or is the "Deal" for two?

Sorry for having a Blonde moment here.......

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to the Grand Ligo Negril

You purchase one and it covers two people.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to the Grand Ligo Negril

Yeap Frodo, see here at the top where it states: "3-, 4-, or 5-Night All-Inclusive Stay for Two at Grand Lido Negril in Jamaica. Includes Taxes and Fees". If still unclear, see where it says 'read the fine print' and you can even ask them direct questions. Also you can buy up to 2 to extend your trip:)

Edited: 10 July 2014, 17:42
Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
New York, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to the Grand Ligo Negril

Just to chime in here, I purchased 2 of the GLN groupons (one 3 day & one 4 day) and called them directly to book. The reservationist was lovely, asked me to email proof of groupon vouchers, and sent me a confirmation email immediately. I have to bring the email and the 2 vouchers with me for check in. I asked, and they do NOT provide airport transfers from Montego Bay. However, the handy search option in this forum helped me find Michaels On-time taxi. Emailed him, he responded quickly, and now I am happily looking forward to a private transfer (with a stop for beer & patties + he provides a cell phone, can't beat that!).

Regarding groupon getaways...I love them. I've purchased them before for Mexico trips. You do have to read the fine print carefully BUT unlike other offers that have an final expiration date, with groupon if you don't use the trip in time, you can always use the offer towards another trip...for forever! I purchased a 3-night stay in Isla Mujeres, life got in the way, and groupon contacted the hotel for me 3 years later and I was able to use it toward the cost of the trip at that time. Wonderful.

Going to GLN Aug 9 - 16, my second time in Jamaica, first time in Negril...counting down the days :)

Edited: 10 July 2014, 19:35
Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Georgia
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to the Grand Ligo Negril

Thanks for this extra info! Lol despite telling people all the time about them, I have never actually used it. My husband is wary of them, but after showing him examples of deals on JA travel I think he is coming around. I'll show him this as more proof they are legit. The last bit you mentioned just might sway him over lol:)

Edited: 10 July 2014, 20:35
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
978 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to the Grand Ligo Negril

Great to hear that about Groupon Beach!! You will love Negril, all of you newcomers will! We love GLN and headed there in Oct. for the 7th time!