We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suspension of private jetski operations to be lifted July 18

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
3,703 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Suspension of private jetski operations to be lifted July 18

eturbonews.com/48094/jamaica-suspension-priv…

Launch sites will not be established in close proximity to high risk areas such as places where members of the public customarily swim. These include the Blue Lagoon (Portland), licensed beaches, public bathing beaches including in Negril, Montego Bay and Hellshire Beach, where PWC operations will be prohibited.

Minister McNeill also indicated that steps are being taken to facilitate the reopening of PWC operations in other areas including Negril, adding that as the task force moves ahead to regularize operations in these areas, consultations will be held with the relevant stakeholders including a meeting which will be held in Negril next week.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,493 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suspension of private jetski operations to be lifted July 18

Good news that they wont be on the Negril beaches.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suspension of private jetski operations to be lifted July 18

It was wonderful this visit to not have them in Negril.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 10:43
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suspension of private jetski operations to be lifted July 18

If they can't launch from near public bathing beaches, where will they launch from? That's clear as mud.

I also enjoyed the lack of jet skis on our last trip. I'm not sure we'll see that peace and quiet on the next trip!

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suspension of private jetski operations to be lifted July 18

Julie: I'm keeping my fingers crossed for our trip next April.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suspension of private jetski operations to be lifted July 18

Our trip is not as close as yours, Cassie - but I hope we both have quiet and peaceful return trips! :)

Milltown, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suspension of private jetski operations to be lifted July 18

I also enjoyed to quiet too last month..Hopefully our November trip will be as quiet.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
58 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suspension of private jetski operations to be lifted July 18

I too am glad I wont be hearing them, or smelling that gasoline smell while relaxing on the beach in Negril

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
7,909 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Suspension of private jetski operations to be lifted July 18

I have had to grab my bushbaby in fear that they were coming too close to the roped area in Negril....hate the foolishness of the drivers, the noise and the smell! Hope it continues...I missed my trip this season and when I am able to travel again i hope its still the same!

PEACE!

9. Re: Suspension of private jetski operations to be lifted July 18

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 18:31
Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suspension of private jetski operations to be lifted July 18

It is important to note that the lifting of the jetski ban on operations is oriented only to the use of Private jetskis and not those to be used for commercial purposes. The use of jetski craft for commercial purposes continues to be banned (except, I think, in Ochi where the commercial ban is lifted for evaluation).

Read the cited website in the OP for more details.