We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seastar Inn - Saturday Night

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Seastar Inn - Saturday Night

Would you recommend going for the the Saturday Night One Love Reggae Show? Been reading some mixed reviews that the show itself is pretty "Americanized". Want to avoid this, it is the reason we did not want to stay at a big AI again as we found the entertainment pretty "Amercianized" also. The food has been getting mixed reviews also. We know we want to take one night to do a dinner on the west end, want to make it a good choice:) Knockiing around Ivan's and 3 Dives also. Appreciate any advise.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,418 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seastar Inn - Saturday Night

I like the food at Seastar's buffet, especially the fish.

3 Dives has live music on Tuesdays and though they play a fair bit of popular reggae (know your audience), I wouldn't call it "Americanized".

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
380 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Seastar Inn - Saturday Night

The show at Seastar is fine and a good night out. About the only place you can go out eat some Jamaican food and see a live show for $20. Is it the best food probably not but still good try to get there early enough so the food is fresh. We usually land on a Saturday so very easy on the first night, $20 for diner and a show.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seastar Inn - Saturday Night

We went to Seastar on 28 June . I enjoyed the guy singing n the girl was great at audience participation . As a fussy eater I wasn't sure but the fish was really lovely and the slaw . Drinks very very reasonable too . Left when African dancers started as not my thing . For the price , I would recommend plus you can leave at 9,10,11 or 12 - your choice .

We stayed at Catcha for 4 nights and would recommend dining early as everything closes up at 10 ( which is when we would normally eat ) 3 Dives likely better choice for ambience .

Homosassa, Florida
Level Contributor
529 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seastar Inn - Saturday Night

The food has a great reputation and has won lots of awards. Go to their website and check out their live feed to see the show.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seastar Inn - Saturday Night

Seastar Saturday night - always a good time... and they offer free pick up too...such a great deal!

Staff and owners know customer service. We have stayed at Seastar a few times and even years after staff would call us by name and treat us so well even if just stopping in for happy hour.

As for buffet, just suggest getting their early - we have always enjoyed it.

Locals go to Seastar too, not just tourists.

Edited: 23 July 2014, 00:44
Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seastar Inn - Saturday Night

Yes the show is good. Starts with a band and singers, then Jamaican drummers and dancers. It's a good homey type buffet. If you want something finer with a seaview, call for free pickup and eat an early dinner at Ivan's then walk or arrange free pickup from Seastar. It's $5 for the show without the meal. When ready to go, hop on the free shuttle as mentioned to get delivered to your hotel.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,683 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seastar Inn - Saturday Night

It can be fun I guess. For me these days not so much, a bit "touristy" for my tastes I'd rather visit with Chris and Francine on an "off night". The last couple of times we went (took friends who was visiting Negril for the first time, specifically to see the drummers) there was a guy up there (tourist I think) singing 1950's oldies and torch songs...and I got change for my JMD in USD. The drummers always do put on a good show though.

Edited: 23 July 2014, 01:17
Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seastar Inn - Saturday Night

There seems to be some regular travellers who sing when visiting Negril as well as some more local singers. There was a professional saxophone player from England joining the band one night that I was there. Sort of whoever is in town with occasional "name" Jamaican reggae bands. It's not Americanized to the degree of "lounge" entertainers, piano bar entertainers etc. Seems geared towards the 40+ age group. Definitely watch the webcast a couple of times to get an idea.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
978 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seastar Inn - Saturday Night

We are planning to go there in Oct. What is a good time to arrive for the buffet?

Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seastar Inn - Saturday Night

Maybe a 6:00 pickup? They'll offer available pickup times when you call and you can ask when the buffet is laid out.