We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip for mid-end of August - advice ASAP AI or not?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Topic
Planning trip for mid-end of August - advice ASAP AI or not?

hello all,

vacation plans with another family fell through so it is just my almost 15 year old son and I. Negril offers a lot of what we are interested in so working on a trip right now. Have gotten a lot of good info from this forum.

Looking for a place where other teens might be although my son does not really need or necessarily want planned activities. We do like to get a local feel of a place we are visiting when possible and relatively safe.

Initially planned on Beaches Sandy Bay by reviews but went to the site and it is closed. Beaches Negril too pricey.

RUI Negril is a little better on price and is AI so not much to plan although not much opportunity to try any local places. Seems AI is a good deal for alcohol but with one adult who is not usually more than a two cocktail drinker, does that save much? Do inclusive activities make the difference?

For non AI this forum has a lot of good recs for Coco La Palm and was just ready to book on book.it or call negrilonespot but saw a post today about construction going on at CCLP right now??

So, can someone confirm that and how intrusive or disturbing that will be? Other non AI recs that will have us near places to eat and we are likely to meet families with teens? A plug for an AI resort we should consider? Just started looking at Treehouse...

thanks

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning trip for mid-end of August - advice ASAP AI or not?

I would look at Charla or Idle awhile

If you book Idle you have exchange privaleges with Hide Awhile on the cliffs.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
994 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning trip for mid-end of August - advice ASAP AI or not?

If you are looking at all inclusive I would look at Riu Palace Tropical Bay above Riu Negril for beach quality. It was a good vacation for our family. There is water volleyball and sand volleyball and some non motorized water activities. Entertainment crew was kind and not intrusive. We felt safe there and enjoy the AI option with teen boys as they tend to eat A LOT! Not to mention sodas in the mini fridge in the room which they liked.

Edited: 03 August 2014, 02:13
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning trip for mid-end of August - advice ASAP AI or not?

Thanks for both suggestions. I didn't realize the Riu Palace was in Negril - duh.

I agree all inclusive works well for teen appetites and the activities sound fun. Did you do any exploring outside the resort? Is it near local restaurants and shops? I am always hesitant to miss out on local atmosphere but maybe this summer is the time for my first AI.

Charla looks really great too.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning trip for mid-end of August - advice ASAP AI or not?

another option may be the grand pineapple, if they have availability. It is a less expensive all inclusive that is centrally located on long beach of 7 mile - so you would have the ease of ai when you wanted combined with the convenience of the location for exporing non ai eateries.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 18:51
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning trip for mid-end of August - advice ASAP AI or not?

Heard from one family that the construction at CCLP was not at all a disruptive. I really like what they have to offer and the deal through negrilonestop.com looks great. Leaning that way but will be working on my flights today first. Looking at dates in the range between 8/20 - 8/30 for 7 nights will probably be pricey for the last minute booking.

Any suggestions on flights welcome. I am in NYC.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning trip for mid-end of August - advice ASAP AI or not?

glosean,

RIU's resort naming can be confusing.

In Negril, there is Club RIU Negril and RIU Palace Tropical Bay.

In MoBay, there is RIU Montego Bay and RIU Palace Jamaica (which is an adults only resort)

In Ochi, there is RIU Ochos Rios

To focus back on Negril. You may find the newly renovated Azul (was Beach Sandy Bay) as interesting.

The two Negril RIUs are on the Bloody Bay section of the 7-mile beach which most folks call the quiet beach.

Azul and Grand Pineapple (both AIs of different level of inclusions) are located on the Long Bay section is has all the pubs, eateries, vendors, beach concerts that create the Negril vibe.

CoCo La Palm is nicely located on Long Bay. If you are concerned about the construction (I think it took away the beach side pool during the work), have a look at the resort adjacent to CCLP: Idle Awhile and Sandy Haven.

Another choice to examine is Country Country

Have a look at negril.com for the entertainment calendar

Level Contributor
26 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning trip for mid-end of August - advice ASAP AI or not?

As far as flights check on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. That's when I've been lucky with lower airfares. Good luck with whatever you choose. Most importantly have fun!!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning trip for mid-end of August - advice ASAP AI or not?

Thanks everyone. booking mid week flights tonight and probably going with CCLP through negrilonestop.com tomorrow.

9. Re: Planning trip for mid-end of August - advice ASAP AI or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:17