We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non all inclusive resort

Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Non all inclusive resort

My cousin and I mid 30s are looking for NICE resort on the beach and close to nightlife. Any suggestions. We plan to come late October. Thanks

United States
Level Contributor
12,378 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non all inclusive resort

See the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c182778/Jamai…

" looking for NICE resort"

Can you define what 'NICE' means to you (I know what it means to me but your definition may be different).

"on the beach and close to nightlife."

In Negril there are about 60 resorts that meet these two requirements.

Hotels in Negril run from about $US50 to $US1000 a night. What is your budget? Will you be in Jamaica during 'high season' or 'low season'?

Are you looking for a couples only resort?, an adults only resort? or for a resort that accepts children (under age 18)?

Edited: 06 August 2014, 04:38
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non all inclusive resort

Based off my research I'm looking at Nirvana Charlera and Idle Awhile. We are looking for a place that's has the best beach, close to local shops,local places to eat and not a far ride to party. It would be great if the resort included breakfast. We are in our 30 no the resort does not have to be adult only. We will not be in our rooms often however our safyey and comfort in our room is very important. Based off the list above where would you choose. If you have other suggestions please let me know.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 05:03
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non all inclusive resort

I don't think you could really go wrong with any of the three. Nirvana does not have an on-site restaurant. I think Coco LaPalm includes breakfast and is on a great part of the beach.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 12:32
Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non all inclusive resort

Charela, Idle Awhile and Coco are all next to one another, there was just a thread asking to compare Charela to another one, you can't go wrong with the beach area, the food at all three is very good, Coco serves an excellent Jamaican breakfast with mouth watering banana bread, Chill Awhile has great lunch and dinner menu's, same with Charela, Charela has a larger beach area and Coco I would say has more shade but still an top beach in Negril, Idle Awhile is between the two, nice rooms. I could stay at any of them but we stay at Coco, pools are nice, I find no fault with any of them, good security, vendors still come by but will not come on the property.

The time you are coming is also a good time to visit Negril.

Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non all inclusive resort

We always stay at Idle Awhile and they have a good restaurant on the beach called Chill Awhile. We chose it based on location on the beach, room decor and the balcony/patios (much like Couples Swept Away). It's an intimate resort with only 14 rooms and has a beach-chic ambiance. There is no pool if that's important to you. They also are booked early so I'm not sure if that would be an option this close to your dates. We'll be there the last two weeks of October but we book our room a year in advance.

Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non all inclusive resort

I might add that Coco is under construction until mid November (they say). Right now they are past the jack-hammering and in the midst of laying block. Construction starts between 9am and 10 am. You may hear some work being done. Coco says by October they should be working on the roof.

Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,978 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non all inclusive resort

Have you looked at the pics and videos of the hotels on negrilonestop.com? They represent Coco, Charela and Idle Awhile and run specials that likely include your dates. Most suites at Nirvana include a housekeeper that will cook one meal per day (breakfast if you like). It has the biggest, nicely treed beach of all with few guests. Rather quiet with no restaurant or bar (you just fill your fridge with drinks). I'd say it's the most cottage like rather than a hotel/resort feel. Coco IMO is more like an American hotel. Charela has more of an old Jamaican style decor with the best restaurant of all you're considering, one of the very best on the beach. Idle Awhile has the most upscale decor on a narrow property, the rooms look very shaded to me.

My pick would be Charela. You can choose a seaview room or suite and add on the breakfast option. If budget is a big concern, you can get Coco the cheapest, but you may hear a lot of hammering as well as at Idle Awhile next door. Charela should be better regarding construction noise factor, with Nirvana better yet in that regard.

san antonio
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Non all inclusive resort

Most rooms at Nirvana come with cook service for one meal a day. We have them cook breakfast every morning.

Nirvana has a great beach with very few guests, so it's never crowded and easy to find shade. There are no on-site restaurants or bars, so it's only guests on the property. White Sands is right next door, so it's easy to get a drink if you don't have it in your room.

Their beachfront accommodations have amazing, unobstructed views. We've stayed in the owner's villa there 4 times if you have any questions.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,969 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Non all inclusive resort

Check out negrilonestop.com. They have photos, prices, lists of amenities, etc... for several dozen places. They're great to work with too, if you'd like to book with them. They visit all their properties yearly to ensure that they're up to snuff, and they can give answer any questions you may have if you call them.

Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Non all inclusive resort

Thanks for the great information everyone. I'm going to check out the website you suggested. I'm super excited! Never travelled to Jamaica and I hear it a beautiful place. Thanks again!