We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather now & rain gear advised? other clothing needs?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Topic
Weather now & rain gear advised? other clothing needs?

Although I know this is the rainy season, checked the weather for the time we are there 8/20 - 27 and see most days are PM T-storms. Is rain gear suggested? just a jacket or poncho enough since it is hot and humid? sandals are water resistant anyway.

hoping for sun as much as possible and no real storms!

thanks

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather now & rain gear advised? other clothing needs?

I can't speak for Negril but I can say that we just returned from Runaway Bay where the forecast showed rain each and every day and guess what? It didn't rain a drop. Not even once.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather now & rain gear advised? other clothing needs?

Do not wear a poncho, your teenage son might kill you !! Lol...

When the rain comes it is often a blessed relief, just take cover, grab a drink and chat with those around you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather now & rain gear advised? other clothing needs?

HaHa Westender82 - point taken!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather now & rain gear advised? other clothing needs?

A small poncho can be a nice thing, esp if there's a brief downpour. We've brought & used them occasionally in the past. Umbrellas are a really nice thing to have - makes strolling to the bar or a restaurant pleasant.

New York
Level Contributor
307 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather now & rain gear advised? other clothing needs?

No need to pack rain gear. In fact, no need to pack much is why we love to go to Negril!

Coupla bathing suits, coupla cotton/rayon gauzey dresses (that serve as bathing suit cover ups and then evening wear :)) some flip flops and you're good!!! Maybe the fancier AI's call for more, but for most beach/cliff places, you really don't need to worry about being a fashion plate.

I do carry on with the above AND my snorkel stuff for 5-6 nights. The one piece of clothing I find I love most for tropical vacations is a very thin cotton, comfy, flowy nightgown/robe set to lounge around my balcony in all evening after dinner. Highly recommend Eileen West sets - fine, smooth cotton on sunburned skin.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,848 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather now & rain gear advised? other clothing needs?

If you plan to be hiking or something, a small umbrella or very light rain jacket might be advisable. I had to cut a planned Blue Mountain hike (not the peak, just a day hike) short because I forgot to bring rain gear up from Kingston with me.

In a beach resort? I wouldn't do anything but wear a swimsuit in the rain and enjoy it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather now & rain gear advised? other clothing needs?

Yes, this is a true test of reduced packing and just having a carry on - no hassle; no fees. Will be trying for that 7 nights. I love the casual, laid back scene and high temp even at night. When we traveled to Central America with time in the jungle we really needed some long pants, shirts and rain gear.

I probably will be checking luggage on the way back - I plan on buying at few bottles of rum and rum creme. Just beginning to investigate that. Checking previous forum posts to see best way to purchase etc.

Maybe a light rain jacket for Mayfield? that is probably the biggest trip and Rhodes Hall.

Northfork - love the Eileen West! My first time hearing about the line. Have to save that for when I come home.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather now & rain gear advised? other clothing needs?

Wear your bathing suit to Mayfield with a pair of shorts overtop for the drive. You spend most of your time there in the water. On the way from water to lunch you walk through a short path and garden to look at the plants and have lunch under a private thatch covered hut. If it rains on the way back to the car, you'll be grateful as it's a steep climb and will be warm. While you're in the falls, the water is refreshingly cool and it's shaded. Make sure and take a camera as the guide will take great pics of you and protects your camera in a lunch bag. Make sure to take water shoes. Rather than a jacket you may want to take a towel (if it's raining you'll want to dry off a bit in the car). They recommend you go in the morning as there's less chance of rain. We went at 9:00 and were back by 2:00-2:30.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 02:53
Fallston, Maryland
Level Contributor
231 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather now & rain gear advised? other clothing needs?

Where we stay, they provide an umbrella and small poncho, although we never used them. During this time of year, the weather usually says 95% rain sometime during the day. For us, it was no big issue because it rained the same time each day for almost 30 minutes, then it cleared up in time for evening activities as if it never rained.

The rain is a welcoming refresher and motivation for a quick cat-nap then up for round 2 of the day's festivities.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather now & rain gear advised? other clothing needs?

imo ponchos are a style no no. You might as well go the whole hog and get a hat with a wee little umberella on the top.

They should only be seen on kids on a water ride at a theme park. lol

Nothing wrong with a brolly and a light jacket in the hills. Agree on the resorts, who cares.