We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help! best 5 star family AI

quebec,canada
Level Contributor
502 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
help! best 5 star family AI

Hi all Im looking for a very nice hotel with lots of activities, kids stuff, great food and great location.I dont ask for too much!! ha ha the last time i was in negril it was 25 years ago. Now with kids in tow 10 and 12 yrs.were looking for a march break getaway. thanks wynne in the woods

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help! best 5 star family AI

Dear Wynne in the Woods: Wow!!!! 25 years is a long time to be away. Things have changed in Negril (so have we). I am sure that all of us here can give you a lot or recommendations, but, you put in a kikkker in the request: "lots of activities, kids stuff" The other things like great location and food can be handled, but is seems that your destination will be one of the mega resorts that cater to kids activities. What a bummer. IT will cost you a lot of CAN$$$.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: help! best 5 star family AI

Wynne,

The best family oriented AI resort in Negril is Beaches Negril. It's probably a 4 star though. The only 5 star on the beach, contrary to what many tour companies and resorts care to promote, is Grand Lido which is not a family resort. Beaches Negril is a very attractive resort on a beautiful stretch of beach.

Kingston,Jamaica
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: help! best 5 star family AI

Negril is great but try somewhere different now. There is Beaches Boscobel inOcho Rios: www.beaches.comand StarfishTrelawny (closer to the Montego Bay area): www.superclubs.com

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: help! best 5 star family AI

Hi Wynne,

I recently posted a similar topic--you can read the thread here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147312-i110-k7790…

It has some really helpful (and detailed!) information on there.

Good luck!

Christine

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help! best 5 star family AI

There are only two true 5 star family a/i's in all of Jamaica that I can think of... (as of now anyway)

Ritz Carleton

Half Moon

That said, I don't know if they're what you're looking for exactly, personally I would save a bundle of money and go with Starfish Trelawny. It's certainly not a "5 star" but it's the best value family resort you'll find in Jamaica. ( You're children will LOVE it, especially at their age )

Blessings and respect.

Steve

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
109 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help! best 5 star family AI

Wynne,

It can be hard finding a resort that is good for everybody. I know when it's just me and my husband traveling we look for much different things than when we are taking the kids. Although this may be a "bummer" that's how it is, you want everybody to have a good time.

We did research the Starfish after hearing about it here because the price was very appealing. We found that many things we wanted to do were not included in the price, such as SCUBA diving, snorkeling, and water skiing, although they do have other water sports that are included . www.superclubs.com/included/Amenities.htm

Here is a chart that shows everything included at the Starfish.

I'm sure everybody has a different opinion of what the "best" family AI is. Just find out what activities your kids are most interested in and then see who offers them. Our boys will be 12 & 14, we ended up at Beaches Negril. Just thought this resort suited our family better.

Good luck on your decision!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
760 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help! best 5 star family AI

Jamaica Inn is in Ocho Rios but it could be a good fit. It allows kids 10 and over. Check it out.... it's beautiful.

Eagle Pass, Texas
Level Contributor
183 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help! best 5 star family AI

We went to Beaches Sandy Bay in July with our two kids (Boy 11 & Girl 8). We absolutely loved it. I heard some people who went to Beaches Negril for the day from Beaches and they thought it was too big. Beaches Sandy Bay is smaller but VERY comfortable and the staff will know you by name within a day or two. Plaese read mine and the other reviews. There are some negative ones but most are VERY positive.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help! best 5 star family AI

To be honest "five star" and "family resort" don't really go together.

Another issue is Spring Break time can be quite "active" in Negril (lots of crowds, noise and late night parties).

If you are willing to accept "moderate" accomodations, I would check out the Starfish Trelawny. It is on the North Shore and has a nice beach and lots of activities for kids.

Wherever you end up, Enjoy!

Toronto
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: help! best 5 star family AI

We are looking at going to Beaches Negril for our March break and I am concerned with the spring break concerts. In last year's reviews a number of people mentioned music so loud it was shaking the rooms on property next to Beaches Negril. It went on all night. Is this a regular event every weekend in March or is it one big bash (what weekend?. I read that MTV has picket Negril for spring break and I am not sure what that means.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.