We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer - recommendations welcome

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First timer - recommendations welcome

My family of four will be staying in an AI resort for one week in November. We are planning to visit Mayfield falls and decided against black river/appleton/ys falls. We would like to go on another excursion during another day. Should we book a negril highlights tour? Pls keep in mind I have 2 preteen kids and we are not exactly adventurous. We don't know if we'd ever return to Jamaica and would like to make the best of our time. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

North Plainfield...
Level Contributor
903 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer - recommendations welcome

I bet your kids would love the Wild Thing sunset catamaran ride. It's only 3 hours long but it's a lot of fun. $50 a person.. drinks and a slice of pizza included. They take you for a nice ride and make a stop to watch the cliff diving at Ricks.

Another excursion they may like is horseback riding. There are a few places to choose from.

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer - recommendations welcome

Dear harrietpotter: First of all, I am happy to respond to COL Potter's wife. We all enjoyed him on MASH. That stupid thing said, which was a joke, let us get on. First of all, Technik provided some great suggestions, but I am not easy on the boat thing with pre-teens. Some people on the boat get basted, etc and may do things that your children should not see. May I suggest, as did Technik, that a horse ride is great. There are really nice horses, close to Negril, and they take you through some great places and finally get to the beach, and you get to have the horse swim in the water, while you are on it. The guides are great.

Next. For the other tours, I suggest that you send an E-Mail to either of the following people, who are in Negril and have tour operations. They will come up with a plan for what you want at a reasonable price. Please contact:

1: TOTTT (Talk of the Town Tours) Sienna or Soloman. The E-Mail is S_kerr@anbell.net

Their web site is: www.talkofthe townnegril.com

Phone # is 876-372-2543

2. Anita and John in Negril.

The E-Mail address is:

john_maica@cwjamaica.com

Phone # is 876-483-1973 or 862-4319

Their company is Johnmaica Co. Ltd.

Both est. are VERY reliable and will suggest a first and second tour while you are in Negril. Also, please mention, as you did, that you have pre-teens. I do not understand why you eliminated Black River/Appleton Rum/YS falls? My only other suggestion is going to the Pelican Bar. The kids would love the experience and you would get to see so much, including the Pelican, which is on stillts in the Sea. Some fun stuff, even for kids.

Sorry for the long response, but if this is your first and last trip to JA, then make use of it. Show the kids (and yourself) a taste of Jamaica and how wonderful the people and the island is!!!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer - recommendations welcome

You could also do something like a glass bottom boat to the reef and go snorkeling, and the cost isn't that high. Also, if you ask, they would take you to Rick's cafe to see the sunset, and since it would be a smaller group, it might not be as 'wild' as a catamaran cruise, and yet you could still check out the scene and see the divers. Just a suggestion.

NJ
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer - recommendations welcome

Thanks for all your suggestions.

My kids are the ones who ruled out black river safari (crocodiles -blah), appleton (sounds like a typical school trip) , ys falls (mayfield falls sounds better). We still may reconsider the above. We also prefer shorter day trips just in case if one of us is not feeling well from rides (motion sickness can be a problem with kids).

Mayville, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer - recommendations welcome

You could do a boat ride up the Negril River to the Royal Palm Reserve...this only takes a couple of hours!

LOTL

negril
Level Contributor
293 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer - recommendations welcome

Mayfield Falls is a great tour, much fun and adventure for everyone. Having the teens with you we would also suggest going horseback riding and definately go to the cliffs one afternoon to see the divers and the sunset.

One Love from Negril

Anita and John

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer - recommendations welcome

I concur with Legends on the Loose. This is a fun relaxing trip down the river. Many of the boats on the beach will take you there and most also will do a little snorkeling too if you want to. At the reserve are many beautiful plants, flowers, and animals. There is a tower you can climb and get a beautiful view of the lush surroundings. There is also an area with fenced in Crocs. This is a neat little half day trip. If you left at 11:00 you'd be back in time for dinner.

South
Level Contributor
545 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer - recommendations welcome

You could also take a bamboo raft down the Martha Brae or Great Rivers. Those tours are a lot fun for all ages.

I recommend the Great River for two reasons:

1) it is not far from Mobay whereas the Martha Brae River is farther away heading toward Ocho Rios.

2) I have done both river tours and the Martha Brae had way too many vendors set up constantly call us over. The Great River was a relaxing non-intrupted experience and was not crowded at all.

Most tour companies should be able to give you more info on both these tours.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer - recommendations welcome

good idea on the bamboo rafting. you might also consider combining that with a trip to the hummingbird sanctuary - that's a pretty cool experience for younger kids - having them hover by your hands and drink sugarwater from the feeder you're holding.

South
Level Contributor
545 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer - recommendations welcome

I second what Rawlus said above. One trip we did was to the Rockland Bird Sanc. then the Great River. Both are short drives from each other, and right outside of Mobay.

That was a wonderful trip. If you do this trip I highly recommend stopping for lunch at Lethe Crossing. Its a great local place to eat and very inexpensive.

And then there is always grabbing a pattie at Miss Sonia's once you head back into Negril. She makes the best patties, I have ever eaten.