We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

being realistic on Black River tour

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
108 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
being realistic on Black River tour

Is it impossible to do Black River, Pelican Bar, Appleton Tour, AND YS Falls in 1 day? I wouldn't mind being back in Negril after sunset if we could realisticaly fit it all in. I also wouldn't mind skipping the Falls if that would make the day easier and less rushed. I've been to Mayfield Falls in the past - is YS that different/unique? I'm going to book this tour through TOTT April 20-26th if anyone is interested in going. Will just 2 of us (we are 27 & 30) only and we would love to include others on the tour.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: being realistic on Black River tour

To me, YS is passable compared to other falls that I have been to in Jamaica, Dominica, and Hawaii. My wife and I love doing waterfall/rainforest hikes and he found YS to be boring and a bit unimpressive.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: being realistic on Black River tour

*Sorry, I meant 'we' not 'he'.

It is certainly not a bad time at all, but it could be cut in order to make the day easier without really missing anything.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: being realistic on Black River tour

Timing is just a bit off. We don't get to Negril until 4/26. Darn, I was hoping to find other folks to tour!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
762 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: being realistic on Black River tour

Black River and Pelican Bar are kind of all in one shot. I'd combine that with either Appleton or YS Falls but not both - too much.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
108 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: being realistic on Black River tour

I'm leaning towards skipping the Falls... we are not the fastest moving people when in JA! Thanks everyone for the replies and so quick!

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,037 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: being realistic on Black River tour

Personally I'd skip Appleton, factory tours don't appeal to me much even if they take place partly outdoors and have a bit of free rum at the end...I'd rather just buy rum and drink it at the falls ;)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: being realistic on Black River tour

I just spoke to Sienna, things are pretty quiet there right now as they dont have a tour today. Give her a call at the number on their website and she will help you figure out what best suits you in trips. I picked up an international calling card at Walmart for US $10 and I think I will get 36 minutes of calls to JA.

Portland, OR, USA
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: being realistic on Black River tour

I enjoyed YS. I would skip Black River or the rum factory. That's just me.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: being realistic on Black River tour

We did the black river, ys falls, and appleton tour in one day... we left at 8 am... and were back by 6 pm... We enjoyed it... we too have been to dominica.. and else where.. we live a few hours from the rocky mountains and see tonnes of waterfalls... but i did enjoy ys falls... almost more than mayfield falls. Everyone is different. Black river was okay... my kids enjoyed it because we saw crocodiles... appleton's was interesting too, we enjoyed that a lot and learned not to buy rum there.. wait till u are at the airport!!! We wanted to do the pelican bar too... but a lot of locals never heard of it before... so we will do that next time... its usually a "package" tour of black river, falls, and appleton's. I would do it..

minn
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: being realistic on Black River tour

unless you are really into gators skip the black river. that is all you will see!!!! kinda of boring for the price, have them drive you though bamboo alley it is very pretty