We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ride from kingston to portland 9:00 p.m.

texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
ride from kingston to portland 9:00 p.m.

our flight gets into kingston at 8:55 p.m. that last time we came we stayed in kingston one night then caugt a cab to porty the next morning. tha driver acted as if we didnt have to do that. that we could have easily caught a cab at that time of night to porty. has anyone ever done this? or if so can you tell me why or why not? i really dont want to stay in kingston rite now with all thjat is going on. on the other hand i dont want to ride that long road at that hour. any advice?

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: ride from kingston to portland 9:00 p.m.

One option to avoid Kingston and a long night drive would be to find accomodation in St Thomas, then the following day drive via the east coast to Port Antonio. You will be able to find several places to stay at Yallahs or Morant Bay, or possibly closer at Bull Bay or Eleven Mile (not sure).

The east coast route is probably about half hour longer than driving the junction road, North of Kingston to get to Porty.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ride from kingston to portland 9:00 p.m.

Not sure if it makes a difference in your travel preference, but in case you didn't know, the man wanted by the US has been apprehended and is currently in a Federal jail in New York.

Security forces are active through out the city and curfews have really kept things under control.

Things have calmed considerably in Kingston and even so, not all parts of Kingston are worrisome. Just a little $.02 on my part; not sure it will ease your mind or not???

texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ride from kingston to portland 9:00 p.m.

well, i want to go on to porty that night. do you think there will be taxi's at the airport that are willing to go to porty at that hour? if so do i need to make a reservation, or can i just catch a cab there? i feel like there will be plenty of cabs whenever a flight is coming in, i just dont want to get stranded that late at night.

texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ride from kingston to portland 9:00 p.m.

im not afraid to be in kingston. didnt mean to sound that way. im just concerned about getting a ride to porty so late. it seams alot of jamaica shuts down kinda early. at least everywhere i have stayed.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ride from kingston to portland 9:00 p.m.

I am sure a taxi will take you to Porty that night if that's what you want.

But FYI Golden Shores at Lyssons in St. Thomas is a lovely hotel on a lovely beach, would make a great stop.

Or of course Morgan's Harbour, right by the airport would too.

Then you can enjoy the drive by day, which is what I'd personally prefer. But if you want to get going I am sure a taxi will take you, money is money. If you want to be sure book ahead with JUTA or the hotel you are staying at in Portland..

texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ride from kingston to portland 9:00 p.m.

thanks ohliz, thats what i kinda thought. just wanted someone to agree. we stayed the night last year, and i wished i had went on to porty. i guess i just cant wait to get back to good ole porty. i just love it there.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ride from kingston to portland 9:00 p.m.

I would recommend driving straight through if that is what you would prefer. I don't think you will have any problem. I can recommend a Kingston driver if you would like me to.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ride from kingston to portland 9:00 p.m.

I would want to do that drive in the daytime, personally.

If I were in goosecrane's situation, I would stay at Golden Shore beach hotel in Lyssons, St. Thomas that first night (been there, for several weeks, and loved it), get up and have a nice breakfast, take a stroll along their nice long beach, maybe take a swim too, and then head for Porty maybe late morning - so you could hit Boston Bay for LUNCH!

texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ride from kingston to portland 9:00 p.m.

yes animal house if you know a good driver i woud appreciate that very much

kingston
Level Contributor
611 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ride from kingston to portland 9:00 p.m.

When are you thinking of travelling? We are heading into the rainy season, especially the Porty area. Remember that the flight is getting in at 9 pm, it will be some time after before you start a 2-21/2 hour drive. If you must travel that night make sure you have a good driver.You can get one of the JUTA drivers from the airport. If you decide to stop in Kingston, you have nothing to fear. The Morgan's Harbour is near to the airport.We have no problems in Kingston, so you have that choice.

Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio