We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Huts with a 7 Year Old??

Sheffield
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Great Huts with a 7 Year Old??

Hi!!

Myself, my partner and our 7 year old daughter are staying all inclusive in MoBay in October. I always like to organise a few days off resort and ''off the beaten track'' and have come across Great Huts in Port Antonio.....a few questions.......

Is Great Huts suitable for kids?

Is it well situated for daytime activities and are there any organised by Great Huts themselves?

Does anything happen at night? (I have read it gets v dark and there is no lighting!)

Any information on staying here would be very much appreciated, especially from people whom have stayed there with kids.

Thanx!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Huts with a 7 Year Old??

We stayed there last year and I would say yes, fine for kids.

There was a family there with 2 young children during our stay and they were having a great time.

The owner Paul and his staff seem to make it fun for kids.

I would email directly from their website as they are good at responding to any concerns and do answer any questions you may have.

Enjoy!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Huts with a 7 Year Old??

Well if you want off the beaten track, Great Huts is a good option.

I think your 7 year old will like it.

The treehouses (as opposed to the tents) are accessed by ladders, so I know your little girl will enjoy climbing them to get to your room.

I toured the property a couple of years ago. There are lots of different little coves. The terrain inside the property is very rugged - meaning not too many paved or smooth walkways, so you'll need good footwear like Tevas as opposed to flimsy rubber flip flops to protect the bottom of your feet.

There are (or were) two dogs on property that were really sweet and friendly. They love swimming in the sea.

GH has a communal area and kitchen with internet access.

GH is located at the end of a road, just down from the Boston Jerk Center and there are music night there at BJC where they set up massive speaker stacks for some dancehall music, some vendors and lots of food.

There isn't any nearby entertainment per se for kids. everything in Portland is quite spread out, so you'll need a car or driver.

Of course GH is an ECo site, so no AC.

Of course bring flashlights.

GH is a special but rustic place and the property is beautiful, but it's not for everyone (meaning those who do better in a hotel type environment with amenities; and those who are in poor physical shape - all the rough terrain and climbing could be troublesome for certain folks)

Edited: 18 July 2010, 23:38
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Huts with a 7 Year Old??

take some extreme caution with the little one wandering about, it is in the cliffs... some of the best areas with the best views/secret spots are ones i wouldn't take kids near..

they provide flashlights, so bringing your own isn't necessary unless you feel to do so... they are needed tho at night... the lighting is not great..

i don't recall any huts that are climbed into, some have steeper steps, but no actual ladders...

it is very rustic (but with touches of luxury)... the gorgeous mosquito netting isn't for decoration (and keeps out lizards and other things that crawl in the night :) )

they often have yoga/art ect as far as activities (depending on the owners being there, they are the ones that usually keep these and based on guest interest), not sure if a 7 year old would enjoy these... depends on the child...

there is no direct "beach" access... they have bit of a trecherous rocky shoreline there (but offer lessons on how to climb (sperlunk?) the rocks and access the water... it's apparently a skill :) boston beach is easily walkable tho... sometimes it is very wavy (and surfable) and others calm... i've seen both...

i loved great huts and they've made some amazing improvements since my last visit (i passed thru a few months back)... very excited to return again soon... i'm personally not sure i'd bring children there tho, but they tend to be very social and like interacting with others their age... there's a good chance there'd be no other kids as the place is small... if your daughter can easily entertain herself, loves nature, and you are open to keeping a pretty close eye on her, i'd say it's a good place for kids... they are family friendly, but it would take the right family IMO...

enjoy :)

Chelle

4. Re: Great Huts with a 7 Year Old??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio