We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dragon Bay

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Dragon Bay

Considering Port Antonio for a visit. It has been suggested that I might like to stay at Dragon Bay, apparently the cooking if very much home style. There are really no recent reviews on this resort/hotel. Can anyone, any TA experts for this area, or recent travelers speak to the resort and food?

Mentioned in this post
Geejam
Geejam
#1 of 16 hotels in Port Antonio
The Resort at Wilks Bay
The Resort at Wilks Bay
#2 of 16 hotels in Port Antonio
The Trident Hotel
The Trident Hotel
#3 of 16 hotels in Port Antonio
Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dragon Bay

Dragon Bay has been closed for YEARS.

Sandals owns it now and they have plans to develop it into a luxury property but I don't think the place has been touched in years. They are, as far as I know, waiting for the airport to be upgraded before they consider investing a bunch of money in the place.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dragon Bay

The resort has been closed for several years. Gordon Stewart (from Sandals) purchased it in a hope to refurbish and reopen it one day.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dragon Bay

...and all that is based on Port Antonio getting a decent airport which isn't happening anytime soon.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dragon Bay

Boscobel Aerodrome upgrade in St Mary secured the funding and not Ken Jones.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dragon Bay

...and it opened with much hoopla with Margaritaville's Jimmy 'Mistaka in Jamaica' Buffet being the first to use it.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dragon Bay

saxophone,

As alternates to stay in Port Antonio I recommend Fern Hill or Goblin Hill.

http://www.fernhillclubhotel.com/

http://www.goblinhillvillas.com/

Mentioned in this post
Goblin Hill Villas at San San
Goblin Hill Villas at...
313 Reviews
Jamaica
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
834 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dragon Bay

It's a shame that Dragon Bay closed. It was the one full service hotel ON a lovely beach. I spent 2 or 3 glorious nights there in the late 90's. It was such a perfect place to stay and visit the sites of Port Antonio. It wasn't an AI and was in close proximity to other wonderful beaches, the most amazing jerk anywhere in Jamaica, the Rio Grande, etc. I wish it would reopen just the way it was!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Rio Grande
Rio Grande
323 Reviews
Jamaica
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dragon Bay

It's a pretty special place, in a beautiful setting, and made famous by the movie Cocktail with Tom Cruise. I visited it in the early 90s and was quite impressed.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dragon Bay

Thank you Mattjamaica, Blues_Pirate for your up to date information. And thanks especially for the suggestions on other resorts. Libbylulu, the suggestion that I received to check this place was from a person who is Jamaican, but now living in Canada. He has wonderful memories of the Port Antonio area, and he remembers an older woman being the main cook and how wonderfully she prepared meals. It seems to echo your experience there. I have been traveling most times to Cuba but thought I would start checking other areas of the Caribbean..and the acquaintances I have had the pleasure to meet from Jamaica, makes me think I would love to visit this country. So one other question, if you do not mind, what would be the airport of choice to fly to, to get to Port Antonio? Thanks to all of you...

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,411 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dragon Bay

Closest airport would be Kingston, but not by that much given the new road from Montego Bay.

There are still many nice places to stay in Port Antonio.

Mentioned in this post