We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

porty or oracabessa?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
porty or oracabessa?

I am having a hard time deciding on areas... we are going to be flying in to Kingston on 5/10 for nine days.

there are 2 villas we cafe considering. blow hole in O & bolt hole in PA.

how long will the rides from Kingston be?

which are is preferred by seasoned lovers of Jamaica?

we know TB, RB, Falmouth&

I know ochie, so I wonder if we should opt for PA this trip?

i'd love to hear your thoughts...

Edited: 31 March 2011, 03:40
jamaica
Level Contributor
950 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: porty or oracabessa?

Go to Porty....it's such a lush, beautiful part of Jamaica & it's DIFFERENT! The other mentioned places are just popular because folks hear the names mentioned over & over again as tourist destinations......folks are always more comfortable going to a place they think they "know", even if it's only by hearing the name talked about numerous times.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: porty or oracabessa?

I've been to both areas. Go to Port Antonio for sure. As jajewel01 stated it's different. Oracabessa is pretty good but nothing out of the ordinary.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: porty or oracabessa?

I'll third Portland... it's the most beautiful parrish (IMO) and between the two villas IMO the one in portland looks nicer (more *my* style at least :) i like the simplicity of it :) ) only difference i see is that the Oracabessa property has a/c, the portland one does not... may or may not be an issue to you?

Oracabessa is nice in it's own right, they do offer what i feel are the most phenomenal views on the North Coast (from firefly).... but other than that, it's a smaller town with a small town vibe... if you want to do any tours or whatnot you'd probably find yourself heading to ocho rios (or portland).... in port antonio you'll have more to see and do in the direct vicinity (although it's a bit of a spread out parrish, there's a good chance not much will be walkable from the villa anyways)

as for distance from kingston airport... it's probably about a wash, Oracabessa might be a *little* closer, but not significantly so... ... i'd take a guess at about 2.5ish hours to either (assuming the bolt hole is in or very near to Port Antonio proper, i'm not familiar with the property so i can't say for sure and Portland is a big parrish (they will always list things as in Port Antonio, but that's not always the case :) ) ...

to go Oracabessa, you could take the toll and out thru bog walk (which is currently seeing construction delays and probably will be shut down in May), or thru Junction (Castleton) which is a much more scenic, mountain-y way, road conditions aren't as nice, but this would probably be the preferred route during the construciton... and it's my favourite drive :)

to go to Portland you could go the same junction (castleton) way (heading east when you get out of the hills as opposed to west :) ), or around St Thomas... depending on the exact villa location, one might be better than the other., but i still prefer the mountain pass for the scenery :)

hope that helps some

Enjoy

Chelle

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,912 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: porty or oracabessa?

Portland! So much more to do there.

However Bolt House is in Port MARIA, not Port Antonio. Port Maria is just down the road form Oracabessa, maybe a half hour at most. So really has the same things to do and see.

If you are considering port Antonio area and want a private villa, check the ones at San San, Blue Lagoon for ones on the water or very close...there are also many on hillsides with views kind of like Bolt House and Blow Hole.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,912 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: porty or oracabessa?

Oops my bad, I misread your villa name as Bolt House.

So i'll just say again, Portland!!

Check these sites for Porty villas:

www.villasinjamaica.com/port_antonio.shtml

villaswithclass.com/villas-in-jamaica/port-a…

www.sunvillas.com/villas_locationsPA.php…

Edited: 01 April 2011, 19:22
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: porty or oracabessa?

thank so much, everyone.

I really feel Portland is for us. i appreciate the input. the villas in port Antonio are some of the pricest on the island, so finding one in budget was difficult! lol.

I the difference will be that the villa in oracabessa has a/c , a local bar we can walk to, groceries, etc. the Portland prop does not have a/c & so far I cannot get info on what is walkable, etc.

I think in PA, anything better located will be out of my budget.

we are not desperate to tour, we want to do local things etc. I've readthe blue lagoon is a horrid, sad tourist trap. Frenchman's cove would be a must...

we have to decide asap....

it's a lovely choice.

thanks again,

meg

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,912 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: porty or oracabessa?

Actually Blue Lagoon isn't a tourist trap at all, the restaurant that was there has been closed for years. The most fun way to explore it now, I think, is by boat, but you can also walk/drive up and swim.

Bolt hole looks beautiful, and it is on the water which is pretty rare in Porty.

Route taxis go along the main road constantly so getting around is not a problem, and all villas will have a private driver you can call. Not sure exactly where it is but the main road is on the water so it shouldn't be hard to get around...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: porty or oracabessa?

Blue lagoon is far from a horrid tourist trap... It's technically closed to the public right now so and has been for some time, so it takes a bit of creativity to visit ;)

Nothing in Portland is a tourist trap as far as I'm concerned.. Some things are more touristy than others but the crowds will always be a mix of Jamaicans and visitors

Enjoy

Chelle

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: porty or oracabessa?

thanks for that chelle!

we are super creative.

there is a huge threadvon here regarding the locals charging to access it & it being a big let down, etc.

to me that sounds like a 'trap' ... I'd love to ge wrong!

cheers,

meg

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: porty or oracabessa?

if you want to go in via boat, they will charge you for the service...

since the restaurant is not open, there isn't a ton to see there, just a very scenic spot, i find (as long as the kids aren't invading with their jet skis) that it's so serene to just float in the middle of the lagoon...

chelle

Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio