We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaica Heights

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
Jamaica Heights

Hi,

My wife and I have recently booked a trip to Jamaica for January & February 2012. We're planning on spending a few days around Port Antonio before enjoying the remainder of our vacation at our favourite spot, Half Moon Beach in Green Island.

We've been looking for places to stay near Port Antonio and like the look of Jamaica Heights. However, I've been unable to find any reviews on here (maybe I'm looking in the wrong place!) and only a few forum items regarding an unfortunate incident involving the previous owner. Is Jamaica Heights still open and are there any other hotels/guest houses recommended in this area? We typically spend our time in and around Negril but wish to have a bit more time in Portland after spending a lovely day at Frenchman's Cove a couple of years ago.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Edited: 19 May 2011, 17:30
suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaica Heights

Not sure about the status of Jamaica Heights -

Bayview is very nice -

I would also check out Moon San Villa or Villa Yamaye, which you can find here:

dojamaicayourway.com/category/…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaica Heights

If Jamaica heights has reopened, I'm not aware, but it is definitely no longer under the previous management, and the unfortunate event was sadly not an accident. (the info is there if you want to find it :( there is speculation his wife was involved)....

if you google it you get a website that seems to be pretty much scrubbed of the former owner's name http://www.jahsresort.com/theplace.aspx (which used to be the website a few years back when it was still in operations and had pictures and information about the owner (a german man by the name of Helmut) on it), so i'd suggest dropping them a message or a call and seeing if they are infact reopened..

if not (or if you change your mind) you have plenty of options right there by frenchmans, in a similar setting (but a touch larger/ more hotel-ly) is Fern Hill... they have direct access to Frenchman's .. If your budget can permit there's Hotel Mockingbird, or geejam...

down the road by boston bay jerk centre is the Great Huts (a personal favourite of mine)

Portland is actually full of small hotels and guest houses, so there are plenty of different options... everyone has their favourites :)

Chelle

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaica Heights

Thanks for the assistance folks. Very impressed by the speed of your replies! Mockingbird is one which is on our radar. I'll have a look at your other recommendations.

Thanks again :)

Jonathan.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
12,994 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamaica Heights

Goblin Hill and Fern Hill are close by, Fern Hill higher up the mountain so useful to have a car or be willing to cab it, at least up :)

Ivanhoes is a great budget option, directly in town so 15 mins from Frenchmans.

Moon San is also close by.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamaica Heights

I am really liking the look of Yamaye on the link I posted - first I have seen of that! It seems to be near Boston Beach, so it would be a decent location -

Port Antonio...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamaica Heights

Jamaica Heights is not open but there are loads of great places to stay including Bay View Villas, Moon Soon Villas, Jamaica Palace - you can see more places to stay here portlandja.com/index.php… and in our business directory here portlandja.com/index.php…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamaica Heights

Actually I sent an email via the form on the Jamaica heights site late last night and got a response this morning...

They are indeed open and taking reservations...

Chelle

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamaica Heights

Thanks for the update Chelle. Plenty of good options around Port Antonio and thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'm liking the look of Bay View Villas and have sent them an e-mail. I shall keep you updated once we decide.

Thanks again.

Jonathan

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jamaica Heights

Bayview is nice and in a good location - easy access to town. They include a full breakfast, choice of American or Jamaican - nice staff, nice quiet pool if you want to relax.

Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
850 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jamaica Heights

Moon San Villa @ the Blue Lagoon is a wonderful guest house with super staff and owners. They include a yummy breakfast and use of their glass bottom boat for their guests! You also receive a pass to Frenchman's Cove.

Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio