We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kingston day trip?

Which Port Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leonardtown...
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Kingston day trip?

Hello! In 2013 we are planning to take my 90 year old mother to revisit our old home in the mountains above Kingston. For the 5-7 days that we're in Jamaica, we'd like to stay at one place somewhere comfortable, secure, and with a beautiful, relaxing, resort feel, and one day just hire a driver for the day to take us to Kingston to see our former home, and get us back to our hotel. Can you suggest an area (& hotel) that is really nice, and close enough to Kingston to accomplish a day visit? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kingston day trip?

There are only a few "really" nice hotels in Kingston itself and another handful outside of Kingston proper.

There are some basic places in the mountains in the coffee growing area--but that dosen't sound like what your looking for. One of these is Prince Valley Guest House.

I believe the Wyndam HILTON is the best price for a "better" location lodging.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kingston day trip?

A pleasant resort within striking distance of Kingston area for a day trip? Look at Golden Shore near Morant Bay. Small, very quiet, and you will be well taken care of. Well suited to a 90 year old lady.

goldenshorehotel.com/goldenshorehotel/index.…

In the hills above Kingston is Strawberry Hill. Look at their website. It's beautiful and relaxing but the grounds may not be suitable due to steep steps in places. They may be able to accommodate if you make your circumstances known.

http://www.islandoutpost.com/strawberry_hill/

If you were to stay in Kingston (which I realise is not what you're asking for) Spanish Court in New Kingston is way better than the Wyndham. It has pleasant areas, indoors and outdoors, to relax(on balconies and roof). It's fairly close to Emancipation Park which is on the level and has seating.

http://www.spanishcourthotel.com/hotel/

Of those, I feel Golden Shore, by the beach at Lyssons, is the best choice.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kingston day trip?

Agree with JAS on all counts. However strawberry hill is a bit "steppy" which may present issues for your mom?

You have posted in port Antonio forum, which is a little further out but still makes Kingston a doable day trip... In Portland you could look to geejam or maybe kanopi house, but understand that most of the nicer Portland properties are up in the hills or cliffs and thereby may add some mobility issues/travel to beach ect.... maybe someone can think of something I'm not? Jamaica palace *maybe* but the vibe there is just weird.

Ocho rios is not that much further from kingston than portland, making a (longer) day trip still possible, and offers the more traditional all inclusive resorts if that's what you're looking for?

Chelle

Leonardtown...
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kingston day trip?

Thanks, JASoldier and Chelle--I really appreciate all the suggestions and the links you included in your replies!

When I said "really nice hotel" I think I was misleading, because I love the smaller, Jamaican-style hotels--not the huge all-inclusives. I just don't want musty, dirty, broken or noisy. Based on your suggestions, 've been reading tons of reviews and looked at alot of photos. We're considering the Golden Shore Hotel either the whole time, or perhaps for just 2-3 nights, to enjoy that side of the island and to see our old home; Then, getting a driver to take us to Ocho Rios for the remainder of our stay. Does this make sense? About how many hours drive is it from Kingston to Ocho Rios? Do either of you have any idea how much $$ the driver would require? In Ocho Rios, I am very interested in the Hibiscus Lodge. Several years ago my husband and I stayed at the Shaw Park Hotel and one night we dined at The Almond Tree, so I've seen the Hibiscus Lodge in person and thought it was very nice! Since my mom is a fit & mobile 90 year old, I'm not worried about her being able to navigate the lodge's stairs! If it's not that much more difficult to just do a day trip to Kingston from Ocho Rios, we might simply opt to stay in Ocho Rios the whole time (more to see and do, cheaper flights when in/out of the same airport, etc.). What do you think?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kingston day trip?

Forres Park would idea for your mom to relax and enjoy the serenity of the mountains. It's a very quite, clean, secure with the blue mountains in the backdrop. It's not far from kingston, the road is not bad too. If you are from the mountains, you will enjoy your stay here. The staff is friendly and courteous, and the rates are not bad either.

A driver for Ochi is jamaicatourguide, check out the site of the same name, safe and reliable guy. enjoy!

Leonardtown...
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kingston day trip?

Thank you so much! Forres Park looks really wonderful and beautiful--and close to Kingston. We'll check out their room rates and availability. Thank you also for the info about the tour company/drive. We will contact him to get the answers to our questions. I can't wait to go!!!!

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,876 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kingston day trip?

I'd stay at Golden Shores without hesitation, spent a couple of hours there enjoying their beach bar. Nice property and very reasonable price, nice vibe. Also convenient to Bath if your mom wants to take a dip in the waters....

Houston
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kingston day trip?

check out Courtney with www.jamaicatourguide.com. great rates, very knowledgable and can help you plan a trip with all the things you'd like to see! He's driven us many times and highly recommend him!

Leonardtown...
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kingston day trip?

Thanks--I'm already in communication with him. Good to know another person recommends him.

Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
255 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kingston day trip?

Was in Kingston last month for nearly a week, the hot casual eating and drinknig spot seems to be the Scotchie's in New Kingston. Jerk was great & so was the vibe. We also had a good time one night hanging at The Deck. Just passing that along if you're looking for casual places to eat and drink in the evening.

And I have to give a big thank you to Strawberry Hill staff. We drove from Port Antonio taking New Castle thru the Blue Mountains and Hardwar Gap (scariest ride of my life!) to have lunch at SH before making way to St. Andrews to stay with in-laws. .We arrived around 4 p.m., not realizing SH stopped serving at 3 p.m. and dinner didn't start until 6 p.m. Don't know if it was Chris Blackwell (who was at the bar) or the manager's idea, but the chef made an exception and served us these delicious smoked turkey club sandwiches. It was very well appreciated. Even got to talk to Mr. Blackwell, take pictures with him and sample his new rum.

Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio