We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greener, quieter and more sustainable tourism in Jamaica

San José, Costa Rica
1 post
Save Topic
Greener, quieter and more sustainable tourism in Jamaica

Port Antonio Jamaica is such a great destination and so much more beautiful and interesting than the resort towns on the other end of the island. But Jamaica's tourism has firmly planted the island as an all-inclusive gated-resort destination where you are "safe from the locals". What a sham!

Port Antonio is the quiet side, the green side, the local side, the sustainable tourism side (not to mention the romantic non-caustic side) of Jamaica.

How do we dispel the myths of danger and peril and promote local, community-based tourism initiatives in Jamaica? How do we convey the message that Port Antonio is better tourism and better for Jamaica?

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,913 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greener, quieter and more sustainable tourism in Jamaica

I love Portland. But it's not the ONLY area that promotes community tourism, Treasure Beach comes right to mind when I hear that phrase.

I think part of Portland's problem in terms of attracting large #s of tourists is that it's so far from the MoBay airport. But now with the new cruise ship marina that may change some.

There will soon be a gated AI over that way....Sandlas has bought Dragon Bay as I'm sure you know.

I have mixed feelings about promoting Portland too much, part of what makes it great is the lack of hordes of tourists!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Greener, quieter and more sustainable tourism in Jamaica

Agreed, Port Antonio represents what some refer to as the real Jamaica. Some years ago I bought 2 acres of land at the Golf Coruse at San San and plan to build there soon. Beautiful view of the Golf course, San San Bay, and the Mountains in back. Quiet, lots of space between properties, and away from the heavy tourism. How to promote tourism in P.A.....it tends to promote itself by the relaxing atmosphere, the sweet smell of the ripening breadfruit, the jerked pork at boston, the friendly people, and the natural surroundings. I would say that the port will result in more visitors....keeping Portland natural as opposed to becomming too touristy will continue to attract visitors. I know that in the past, the transportation system was an impediment and perhaps that might be looked at.

Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio